What's new

Why do hardly any UK coasters have MCBRs?

As for rides that don't have an MCBR that might encounter an emergency at some point, don't some trains have a mechanism built into each wheel cluster than can stop a train if a wheel or axle goes astray?

When Expedition GeForce partially derailed (the front of the 4th car I think), the train stopped awkwardly on the incline of the 2nd airtime hill. I guess if there was a system integrated into the wheel assemblies, it would eliminate the need for a rollback brake (like on Ultimate and Tatsu), which could save money or something?

^ No coaster has that mechanism.

Geforce came to its own stop due to the snapped axel causing major friction.

To answer the MCBR question anyway. Our coasters in the UK are simply not long enough to have MCBR's.
The main reason of an MCBR, beside train count, is to keep the flow of dispatches. Our so called "large coasters" in the UK however, are not large enough to need them as they around 40 seconds long. 50 seconds is also about the average dispatch time of a train. Makes no sense to have an MCBR on our coasters. All you'd achieve is a stacking of trains from station to the blocks behind.

I can't think of any rides that have a system like that.

Sounds like something that would cause more problems if it broke than it would prevent if it worked correctly.

Tom G said:
I understand the principal of block sections and brakes, but do they always seem to reduce the speed of the train regardless of whether they are stopping it or not. Is this a necessary part of the the design, IE would trains be overspeeding without the effect of the brakes? I would like to experience Sonic Spinball or the Big One without being slowed!

Yup, I'm afraid so. For instance on Dragons Fury, regardless of operator control, Brake sections 2 and 3 will always trim the car for two reasons. The first is to keep the distance consistent between the car in front on the circuit and the car behind on the circuit. The other is for safety reasons, you wouldn't want the car to be going too fast through certain sections of the ride.

The main reason for UK coasters not having MCBR's has been touched on here but isn't it also a Wardley pet hate in regards to the old Tussauds parks anyway. He hated the idea of breaking up the flow of the ride unless it was absolutely necessary.

The only I can really think off of the top of my head are Dragon's Fury and SAW - The Ride. I personally think the ride is generally more intense without them, and seems to keep a better 'flow'.

TP Rich said:
I personally think the ride is generally more intense without them, and seems to keep a better 'flow'.

Hmmm I'm not sure. Part of the reason I found Magnum Force at Flamingoland to be so intense was the stretches of MCBR in between the horrendously boisterous high-speed sections; just when you thought the ride was beginning to wind down, there was even more of it! Also I think that intense elements have more impact when your body has chance to calm down between them.