What's new

Alton Towers' Galactica VR coaster/Rollercoaster Restaurant

Re: Alton Towers' Galactica VR coaster/Rollercoaster Restaur

But that's the thing, the VR actually works really well on this in my opinion, it would he nice to see different routes made in the future to make it more re-rideble, however my more than happy with the VR for this!
It's actually taken Air from last to 2nd place for my top 6 at the park.
With: 1.The Smiler 2.Glacactica 3/4.Nemesis 3/4. Rita 5.Th13teen then 6. Oblivion.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

There be a storm a'brewin.

Media will have a field day if they're going to make this compulsory, just because as soon as you say people HAVE to it'll be challenged.

owentaylor121 said:
GuyWithAStick said:
Also, if Thorpe is getting VR plus an age restriction, why not here?

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk
Because the age restriction has nothing to do with the VR?
I should elaborate.

Like said in the Thorpe topic, VR is a screen very close to your face. With kids' eyes still developing, the VR is bad for their eyes. If that rule is enforced there, then it should be imposed here as well.

I'm guessing all of the tweets and Facebook posts saying its optional have been deleted and nobody screenshotted it?

I understand what AT are getting at. They've got a new attraction they're keen to promote and is heavily staffed so the last thing they want is trains going round with people not wearing the VR helmets. At the end of the day if the attraction means the rider MUST wear VR (like DBGT at TP), riders who refuse can't ride it and the park are in their rights to refuse riding. Although that doesn't make good PR. It's similar to saying you can't ride something because you're too small or have a disability: rules are rules.

Ian said:
Witchfinder, any chance you could post those messages in here?

Here you go. A fairly non-committal response but it's clear they want you to wear them. Haven't had a reply to my follow up question yet

fb.png

As others have said, there's tons of Twitter posts today asking the same question and getting the reply that they are compulsory, but as Ben and Smithy said, I can't see it lasting if the press get hold of it!

Personally I think they should have either left the front row for people not wearing headsets, or even have one train that periodically has a headset-free run which would help with the queues too as they could have had a separate queue for people that don't want to wear them. Of course that wouldn't fit with their promotion of the ride though, would it?

12th January 2016...
image.png

30th March 2016...
image.png

So, from witchfinder said above, they are ENCOURAGING every rider to ride it but it's not compulsory unless the rider has a reasonable reason.

Kinda makes that portal theming pointless now then, if there's basically no chance of seeing it if you have to wear the headset. I know they want people to experience it, but that's very harsh. It's like saying if you visit a park, you must ride this specific ride. If people don't want to ride Galactica with the VR, they should allow that. But for DBGT I understand why it is compulsory. But here?

But these tweets say it's compulsory?

X6vHMSO.png

It seems the official line changes day to day! :p

See most of the tweets saying about "must be worn" end with "if you want to be a Galactinaut (**** cringe), bar that last one which is probably/hopefully just one person getting the official line wrong.

This was my question 78 days ago, which someone has followed up this weekend (but got no reply to). Eurgh.

I've asked using the CF Twitter. Like I said earlier if they want to force people to ride with them, they're entitled to do so. I want to know why they changed their mind.

[tweet]http://twitter.com/coasterforce/status/715457982876803073[/tweet]

I just want to know why. "Consistent experience" is not a legitimate answer in this scenario, that I can think of. Perhaps it's to avoid undermining the VR experience? Or keep the queue as short as possible? That's a valid one. But Air is a substantial roller coaster and loosing it from Alton's lineup matters. Most people here aren't huge fans of Air, and that's cool - I get that it's not really most people's cup of tea... But it's an important ride. It's the only damn thing my mum will go on besides RMT. She wouldn't want to do VR and would be REALLY upset if she couldn't ride Air. She only rode Air in the first place because Blue Peter said it wasn't scary and was "like you're really flying". Air's popularity NEVER dwindled, it always has a substantial line when I visit compared to Nemesis next door, and that demonstrates that either it's capacity is less (doubt it) or that it's popular. The whole thing pisses me off so much. It's just the wrong choice in every way. The ONLY things about VR on Air that makes it a semi good idea is that it has dual stations, so they could have VERY EASILLY had air operating on one train VR the other not. And that it's ambiguous theme allowed them to go with something cheap and easy to render - like space. But apparently that's not even done very well. So pft, frankly. Pft.

I've never cared so much about something I care about so little.

GuyWithAStick said:
owentaylor121 said:
GuyWithAStick said:

Because the age restriction has nothing to do with the VR?
I should elaborate.

Like said in the Thorpe topic, VR is a screen very close to your face. With kids' eyes still developing, the VR is bad for their eyes. If that rule is enforced there, then it should be imposed here as well.

Not true.

Human eyes are fully developed by age 3, and they're about 3/4 finished at birth (which is why babies look like they have enormous adorable eyes). After three the only thing you have to worry about is ultra violet light. :)

The only health related issue with VR headsets is motion sickness, and if you have that anyway you risk being ill riding coasters anyway. Granted, VR and other simulators exaggerates the feeling of motion sickness, but you have to have it in the first place.

GuyWithAStick said:

Because Thorpe is enforcing the "age recommendation" via. a 1.4m height restriction. Air/Galactica has a 1.4m limit already, so in theory if you're tall enough to ride, you're tall enough for the VR.

I hope this whole compulsory headset BS doesn't last. If that's the case, they've effectively removed one of their major coasters from the line-up this year, in addition to all the other closed attractions, and whilst I'd probably be game for trying this once, just for the experience, I always liked Air. It was a different experience, never made any pretensions of being something it wasn't, and as Joey already mentioned it was always popular with the general public.

Regarding headset cleanliness, whilst a wipe down between rides is probably all they can do during the day, it's possible that they could be removing the headsets on a night and giving them a more thorough clean.

Joey said:
I just want to know why. "Consistent experience" is not a legitimate answer in this scenario, that I can think of. Perhaps it's to avoid undermining the VR experience? Or keep the queue as short as possible? That's a valid one. But Air is a substantial roller coaster and loosing it from Alton's lineup matters. Most people here aren't huge fans of Air, and that's cool - I get that it's not really most people's cup of tea... But it's an important ride. It's the only damn thing my mum will go on besides RMT. She wouldn't want to do VR and would be REALLY upset if she couldn't ride Air. She only rode Air in the first place because Blue Peter said it wasn't scary and was "like you're really flying". Air's popularity NEVER dwindled, it always has a substantial line when I visit compared to Nemesis next door, and that demonstrates that either it's capacity is less (doubt it) or that it's popular. The whole thing pisses me off so much. It's just the wrong choice in every way. The ONLY things about VR on Air that makes it a semi good idea is that it has dual stations, so they could have VERY EASILLY had air operating on one train VR the other not. And that it's ambiguous theme allowed them to go with something cheap and easy to render - like space. But apparently that's not even done very well. So pft, frankly. Pft.

I've never cared so much about something I care about so little.
Well, Air is my favourite coaster - although it took me a few goes to "get" it. Once you stop thinking of it as a thrill ride and more of a 'flying' experience, it's great. But the queue is always long, even when Nemesis is walk-on so it's an odd choice for VR.

I think Merlin were dead set on VR though, and at their flagship park. The problem is they've been so obsessed with "worlds firsts" and gimmicks over the years they don't actually have many options: Nemesis and Thirteen are built into the surroundings, Oblivion only has the drop and there's no point making that VR, and Spinner wouldn't work either.

They should have kept Corkscrew!

Excuse my ignorance, but could you not simply take the VR helmet off as the ride starts? Or does the attachment to the seats not allow that?

Personally, having only ever ridden Air once years ago, I'd rather ride it without the headset. Not to mention that I sometimes get motion sickness on simulator-type rides.

Joey said:
I just want to know why. "Consistent experience" is not a legitimate answer in this scenario, that I can think of. Perhaps it's to avoid undermining the VR experience?

I think you've answered your own question there!

I mean, I'm not exactly sure how much was spent on the Air > Galactica transition, but obviously it has also taken over the majority of Alton's marketing and PR this year. For what is essentially a ride revamp, Merlin have put a lot of focus on this 'new experience'. I'd imagine they'd feel pretty humiliated if 2-3 weeks into Galactica's first season and a substantial number of guests are wanting to ride without the VR headset. I do think we'll see a lot less VR riders in a couple of seasons though.

They replied to CF on Twitter confirming with the wishy washy excuse that they want as many people as possible to experience the VR experience.

I have no idea of the restraint system of the headset but is there a chance of it flying into riders faces mid-ride if it was removed after the ride has begun? Maybe they worry about people trying to remove the headsets midride or trying to put them on mid ride if they're not enjoying it and have seen others on the train doing the opposite?

nealbie said:
Not true.

Human eyes are fully developed by age 3, and they're about 3/4 finished at birth (which is why babies look like they have enormous adorable eyes). After three the only thing you have to worry about is ultra violet light. :)

The only health related issue with VR headsets is motion sickness, and if you have that anyway you risk being ill riding coasters anyway. Granted, VR and other simulators exaggerates the feeling of motion sickness, but you have to have it in the first place.
Interesting Neal and thanks for the science, but the VR gaming headsets, much like the 3DS, come with an age warning. Anyone know why, then? Because I was under the impression it was eye development related.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk