What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

I thought it had two dive loops back to back after the first drop? Not a pretzel loop, which is dive loop then Immelman?

Rollovers where popularised by Vekoma, who call them Sea-Serpents. I call them Sea-Serpents, as thats its common name.

Sea serpent roll is similar to the roll over, but the sea-serpent roll is half loop, half corkscrew, another half corkscrew (opposite way to cobra roll) and then a half loop. Roll over's use half twists instead of half corkscrews.

There seems to be a lot of upsy-downy bits.

I only see inversions in terms of RCT myself.

^However, we can apply a little rct3 to aid us in cognition of the inversions! Many double inverting elements, such as a cobra roll (half loop, corkscrew, corkscrew, half loop) can be expressed simply using the elements it's composed of.

The 3rd and 4th inversions on the smiler are similar to pretzel loops and Norwegian loops, although not congruent. In fact, if you look at the updated POV and the plans, it's easy to note that this is actually two dive loops, or backwards immelmans.

Roll - over (Half loop, half heartline, half heartline, half loop)
Sea serpent roll (Half loop, corkscrew, corkscrew, half loop)

Admittedly, a Norwegian loop would be preferable though. :--D

To highlight what K20 aforementioned:

eH5qgic.png

This is further confirmation of the 14+ inversions, and if you watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation ... 1t7z7VkRXs

...it becomes clear how deliberately disorientating the ride is designed to be.
My sole criticism might relate to the affect of extreme nausea on certain people (aka. A lot of puke)
On-ride sickbags maybe?

Really looking forward to riding this, especially with the final two inversions!

Well. Perhaps Oblivion represents extreme drop.
The Smiler represents extreme inversions.

I hope all the bells and whistles on the Smiler doesn't overshadow Oblivion.

My bet: "The Flasher" will be the camera for on-ride photos mounted onto one of the arms of the Marmaliser.

As for the wheel of win: Has anyone even noticed the slight lag after each spin? Don't waste your time. (You guys already know it's bs anyways.) I know I made that mistake. I've spun it over 30 times by now. Lol.

Does anyone else forsee a typical Merlin PR stunt/media release shortly after opening about having to equip the ride with sick bags/sick bins due to the "Number of people who cant take the rides 14 mind bending inversions".

This ride looks awesome, but so many people are going to spew on it.

Here's what I think that the Marmaliser will be:

The Giggler: Honestly, it sounds exactly like they're going to pump/blow laughing gas at the train to possibly make riders a tad loopy, but I honestly don't think they'd go that far as it seems a tad extreme. Maybe fog and the placebo effect will make you think it's laughing gas.

The Hypnotiser: Spinning hypnosis wheels, possibly with lights and other distractions.

The Flasher: Excessively bright blinding strobe lights.

The Tickler: Leg tickler ribbons (fans blow ribbons that tickle your ankles) or back pokers

The Inoculator: Back Pokers mixed with the visual effect of giant needle theming, perfect for people like me who hate needles

That being my two cents on the Marmaliser, I can now safely say that the ride seems brilliant in that it's drawing its sense of fear from a different source. Instead of the red fear associated with the coaster, they're going for more black fear (fear of vulnerability/fear of the unknown) on this one, and while Alton's been shooting to incorporate black fear into rides recently (TH13TEEN, Sub Terra), this one might actually succeed and create that psychological fear that goes beyond the coaster's layout.

This really is turning out to be even more interesting than I expected, and I expected it to be pretty darned good.

2012Jarrett said:
and while Alton's been shooting to incorporate black fear into rides recently (TH13TEEN, Sub Terra), this one might actually succeed and create that psychological fear that goes beyond the coaster's layout.

Technically Oblivion is built of that premise. But you also have that 'Vertical Drop' in full view to horrify.

Is the "Batwing" inversion on "Smiler" a 1st for an English coaster..?

steelphantom1.jpg

^Yes, it is. In future, to find out things like this, you could use the Advanced Search feature on RCDB. And you probably needn't put the pic in, I think we all know what a batwing is. :)

^ Woah, give the guy a break?

I'm actually really looking forward to riding this, hopefully I'll get a chance in June this year. I just really hope the 'psychological' aspect of the ride isn't marketed as the world's first. But like everyone else, I can see that being it. Also the Marmaliser thing isn't really looking that great in my opinion. Grey and yellow? Ew.

You can only follow the track by tracing it with your finger. Love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.