What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

3425_470683853001992_764423093_n.jpg

I can see why it's being delayed when they go home leaving half a support in mid-air! :lol:

Kebab said:
^Yes, but just think of the speed Nemesis picks up from such a small drop. :wink:

Nemesis is also 135ft from top to bottom - Smiler isn't. However, it does continue down in a similar way as Nemesis.. Who knows, it probably will gain some significant speeds.

Some images from today:

Rising up from the first dive loop up towards the second:
5597_543357882362061_742398574_n.jpg

Going into the second dive loop:
9551_543413995689783_1530269797_n.jpg

Trimmed bunny hill - hopefully the trims won't need to be used to much and we can still get a pop of airtime:
230877_543438129020703_2080677119_n.jpg

(All images courtesy of The Alton Towers Guide's facebook page)

They look a lot more than trims tbh, they look like block brakes which will only be used if they have to stop the train. I might be wrong though.

marc said:
They look a lot more than trims tbh, they look like block brakes which will only be used if they have to stop the train. I might be wrong though.

It is on at least one of the bunny hills (I am guessing the second one will also have trims) so they will not be stopping a car on them. They will be there to trim the cars if need be before they go into the Batwing/Cobra Roll.

Screaming Coasters said:
Kebab said:
^Yes, but just think of the speed Nemesis picks up from such a small drop. :wink:

Nemesis is also 135ft from top to bottom - Smiler isn't. However, it does continue down in a similar way as Nemesis.. Who knows, it probably will gain some significant speeds.
The Eurofighters pick up and loose speed more rapidly than most coaster types. I'm assuming that's mostly because of the short trains? Either way, 4 cars long is still way less than Nemesis. It will probably not have the interesting pacing of Nemesis, but will rise and fall in speed throughout as it peaks inversions and drops out of them. That's my bet.

What do those engineery people on here think??

The mass of a train does not affect its top speed greatly. If you think in terms of energy, a heavy B&M train dropped from the same height as a lighter Eurofighter will still experience the same acceleration/increase in speed at the bottom of the drop. There is a transfer of potential energy of the train into kinetic (remember GCSE physics anyone? :p).

Potential energy is given by mass (m) * height (h) * gravitational constant (g)
Kinetic energy is 1/2 * mass * velocity (v) squared

So at the bottom of the first drop, kinetic energy = potential energy, which gives us:

1/2mv^2 = mgh

Since the mass of the train is present on both sides of the equation it can be cancelled out and hence the velocity depends only on the height, as g is a constant (9.8 on Earth).

1/2 v^2 = gh

Of course, in reality, the trains have a bit of kinetic energy given to them by lift hill, and a larger train will likely experience more friction (more wheels) and so the numbers will work out a little different.

Where a heavier train will benefit is the inertia and momentum it carries, meaning its likely to sustain its speed for longer through the layout. The mathematics gets a lot more complicated when you start adding friction, air resistance, momentum and I didn't take mechanics far enough to bother working it all out. :lol:

Either way, this coaster is looking epic. I took a trip to the towers last week and had a good gawp at the track and she's got me excited now. I just hope it rides like a launched coaster (Lynet) rather than an Eurofigher (Saw.) Unfortunately, I get it feeling it'll be the latter...

^Air resistance is the only type of resistance that is not proportional to the train's weight. Wheel friction is.

marc said:

You are right, that you are wrong. :lol:

Block brakes need to be on a substantially higher section of track compared to the rest of the layout following. A train stopped on a block brake needs to be able to power itself through to the next block/end of the layout under its own steam, otherwise the entire ride is disabled.

Putting a block brake on this low airtime hill would not give the train enough potential kinetic energy to clear the layout, it wouldn't even get over the next inversion.

Due to the Smiler's double lift hill, it has no need for MCBR, as the brakes and second lift act in the same way.

There was bound to be a trim on the second airtime/speed hill, the cobra roll is taken at roughly the same distance from the second lift as the batwing from the first lift, yet it's much smaller/lower.

Not bothered about trims on this, tbh. It's going to be insane regardless.

They just look like the brakes on Saw that are there before the dive loop. The trims they normally use are the blade type which is why I got confused. Just different types of trims I guess.

And yes your right if they stopped the train there they would never get it moving again lol :)

Hmmm, this setup is weird... Why do these trims have pneumatics underneath them? Not seen that on a trim before..

^That is what confused me.

They must be trims that grab.

Status
Not open for further replies.