What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown (Gestlauer?) World's 1st

I'm hoping that Oblivion and the rest of the X-Sector is going to be recieving some love because of this!

That's not gonna happen.

It'll be a dark colour track, we know this for a fact from the mood boards etc. Also, due to it's height, it'll be a dark colour, it's that simple. I doubt them going from Orange to Dark/Black Colour, say like they do with Rita's Track at the highest point...

Yea I agree it won't be brightly coloured the summited theme pieces have a very gary/destroyed look to them, a bright coloured track would just ruin the atmosphere that theme creates.

I still think it looks like an X-car. Kind of like this....
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3y8YbL-gLQ&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

As for record it probably has to do with that weird yet sexy looking inversion.

Venom2053 said:
Yea I agree it won't be brightly coloured the summited theme pieces have a very gary/destroyed look to them, a bright coloured track would just ruin the atmosphere that theme creates.
article-1208230-048A6B790000044D-86_224x423.jpg

This type of Gary/destroyed colour?

Personally, I didn't mean the main track colour to be vivid and bright, but perhaps the supports to be.

As I stated above, I very much doubt ANY of it being brightly coloured, I really do. And to be honest, I'd prefer it to be darker in colouring, I think it would look a LOT more daunting than a bright orange colour.

I honestly don't think it's supposed to be intimidating like some of AT's other rides (Nemesis, Oblivion, TH13TEEN, ect) because if you look at the plans for that piece of theming, it didn't look destroyed or anything. I think this ride's going to have more of a "high tech" feel to it than a "scary" feel.

As for exactly what it is, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess it's those floorless X-Cars that Maurer Sohne has. If not that, either an X-train or a robocoaster. That along with onboard audio (if I'm correct, the first in the UK) would justify a good world's first.

Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown (Gestlauer?) World's 1st

2012Jarrett said:
I honestly don't think it's supposed to be intimidating like some of AT's other rides (Nemesis, Oblivion, TH13TEEN, ect) because if you look at the plans for that piece of theming, it didn't look destroyed or anything. I think this ride's going to have more of a "high tech" feel to it than a "scary" feel.

As for exactly what it is, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess it's those floorless X-Cars that Maurer Sohne has. If not that, either an X-train or a robocoaster. That along with onboard audio (if I'm correct, the first in the UK) would justify a good world's first.

I'll agree with the X-Train that was posted a few pages back. A train would definitely help capacity issues, I think an X-Car would be abit low on the capacity side.

I'm sorry, but if you want anybody to take your posts serious, adding certain elements like;
I honestly don't think it's supposed to be intimidating like some of AT's other rides (Nemesis, Oblivion, TH13TEEN, ect)

or a robocoaster

Will make them dismiss your intellect and post quality...

One look at the layout and you know it's not going to be anything that can't do a tight and twisting layout with high forces (that'll be the Robocoaster that was never going to happen in a billion years anyway).

Though looking at Colossus on Saturday, I'm not sure if an Intamin train couldn't do it or not now...

As for colours, it WILL be dark colours, simply because they still have to take into consideration that the ride can be seen from outside of the park and has to "fit".

Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown (Gestlauer?) World's 1st

UC said:
X-Trains make absolutely no sense on this if combined with that vertical launch garbage everyone was talking up a month ago.

The problem here is that X-Trains are very, very long to get any "decent" capacity. This ride isn't going to cater to that.

I'm willing to bet a hefty amount that this thing uses lots of short, small cars/trains (i.e. Eurofighter) with short dispatch times to boost capacity. The layout definitely does not seem designed for longer trains.

I don't buy the whole vertical launch. I think it'll be a conventional system.

In my previous post l, when I mentioned X-Trains I was on about the 4 across concept images posted earlier. Surely they would offer decent capacity even if they where relatively short.

Looking at the outside section of track, I don't think lots of small trains would cope, as it looks like there won't be much room for safety blocks.

This post was brought to you either by Tapatalk or some random Internet gremlin.

If America was able to pull a First Wing Coaster and First Winged Seating, I can easily see them pulling in the Winged Seating.

Only issue would be the whole 'Worlds' first ordeal. Which is where the Winged X-Train would come in from Mauer Söhne. That could technically be a worlds first (like air being a worlds first). They have a train built (was in an article that I cant find...but they gave Kudos to Intamin for bringing it out first, but said to keep your eye on them in the near future), and to be honest, it could easily pull off what this ride has layout wise. Along with said train, would be LED lighted wheels. Again, a plausible worlds first.

Grabbing from the Skyrush topic, I had posted a link that gave some insight behind the process of Skyrush, and the only other concept they had talked about was Mack wanting to do an inverting Spinning Coaster. Only reason why it wasnt done was it would have been a prototype, and Hershey wasnt yet ready to take that kind of plunge just yet. Only thing stopping that is the whole 'Same as Saws manufacturer' bit.

Oh well, my two cents.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I'm putting my bets on an Intamin vertical lift coaster at the moment since:

-AT seem to have ditched John Wardey and B&M ( :( ) and now seem to be working with Intamin,
-Fahrenheit is a prime example of how Intamin could do this...

And as for the colour scheme...what about light grey, or a more interesting colour for the supports?

Colour-wise I think purple could work, goes well with black and grey but is still not too bright or overpowering.

I'm increasingly convinced it won't be whatever UC thinks it is. Just to spite.

And purple?

Haaaaaar.

Jordan hasn't been paying attention for 20 years.

UC, since the whole report was written by a non-enthusiast, couldn't it just be plain freaking possible that due to there being at least 3 companies (Intamin and Mack is being taken out as those are similar to each other without mingling with the other 3) that all use the same style track as Saw does, that it could quite simply be a mistake (again) on their part? I'm ruling out the major companies, but if this is going down to a train, then unless Gerstlauer has designed free spinning trains, then I don't see them coming to fruition with this project.

My logic is this: Mauer Soehne, Gerstlauer and Zierer all make rides with enough similarities that to someone who just has to know basics, that they would all be called the same type (track is similar, trains while different can be similar enough (Wicked and Saw, Dare Devil Dive and Hollywood RRR). I know for a while I thought Goliath at SFMM was a B&M because of the box spine (this was back when I didn't care to know the manufacturer, just the stats). Its simple for someone to say Ride A is Company A, when it is actually Company C. Plus, since the 3 companies could easily be mistaken for one another, you could essentially intermix basic stats for said rides (like a noise comparison).

It is going to be either Gerstlauer, Mauer Soehne or Zierer, with my money being on MS due to the fact that they can give a worlds first with their 4 across X-Train (it is floorless I believe)

~~~~

Also, just looked at the Covering Letter itself. The plans are "based off of a similar ride (SAW)", which brings in the comparison aspect. Just cause it is similar, does not mean they will be the same.

1. Your "it wasn't written by an enthusiast" argument is just stupid. Are you kidding me? Are you really trying to tell me that enthusiasts have a better grip on manufacturers than the companies that actually buy the products?
In some cases, yeah I recon they do. More importantly, the companies those companies hire to compile this kind of research definitely don't have a clue.

And the only reason I really don't think it will be Gerst? Cuz UC does, and he's got a track record of getting it wrong. ;P

Joey said:
And the only reason I really don't think it will be Gerst? Cuz UC does, and he's got a track record of getting it wrong. ;P
He may be correct because I think the track on the plans looks more like Gersulator EuroFighter.

Coasterfreck said:
Joey said:
He may be correct because I think the track on the plans looks more like Gersulator EuroFighter.
We've been over and over, as UC mentioned also, why the track irrelevant.

The track in those plans is Schwarzkopft (sp fail?), because that is the default track type in No Limits. It tells us nothing about the ride type.

Also... I was sort of joking about UC.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.