What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown (Gestlauer?) World's 1st

Joey said:
I think Furie is right. It's got standard Eurofighter trains. :(

The one thing I've clung too all along was that even if it was a Gerst, it would gave different trains - perhaps like Dare Devil, perhaps something we haven't seen before. I bet the 6 seaters would have just impeded capacity too much to consider, which is more than fair enough.

And with that, I bet the lapbar rumour is false.

Saw, Speed and even Mystery Mine are ruined by the car design. This won't be any different.

I just hope Phil's wrong. Or its got lapbars. Or they've amended the train so it can follow the track without flipping juddering.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Ohh balls, way to ruin my morning :(
It wasn't anything less than I was expecting though tbh. Gerstlauers are cheap and Eurofighter trains have high capacity, so it's an obvious 'good' choice for the park. Take heart, there's no way this will be around in 25 years time. You buy cheap, you get cheap build-quality...

See, there's ALWAYS hope... Hope for those fantastic looking cars!!! :)

I didn't even know that they did Eurofighter cars with lap bars! I doubt this will have those lapbars, but its still pretty awesome.

As for this coaster, I'm surprised at some of the negative reaction it's receiving. I know it's not a Nemesis beater, it's not the Alton woodie, but what it is is a good solid sit down coaster with multiple inversions, Eurofighter or not, it's just what Alton's missing.

People are complaining that it will most probably be a Eurofighter, but you have to look at the alternatives. What other coaster would fit 8 inversions (not including the 'secret element') into such a tight footprint? B&M certainly couldn't do it, Intamin? Nope. Vekoma? Doubt it.

Yeah, that's all kind of the issue Alton have. They are never going to have a huge coaster again in terms of "traditional". They could potentially, if they use the Air car park, get in a Mack Megacoaster or something, but they're so tightly bound on restrictions.

So yeah, it's why I find this really exciting, it's so hard to believe that Alton could get away with an 8 inversion coaster. Yes, they've had to go to the bottom end of the scale, but it's still an achievement.

Thing is, would one of them trains with lapbars stop the juddering? Thats my biggest issue really. I dont mind a rough coaster, but Saw is just something else with how painful it is. If Saw was fine, and there wasn't any juddering or anything like that, then I would be very happy about this coaster. But as it is, I think the coaster looks great, but for me I probably wont be able to ride it much.

There are other companies that could have done this though apart from Gler, but I suppose with them you know what your getting.

Yes I agree with Furie it is an achievement to get a multi inversion coaster again at Alton.

Yes it does seem like people are moaning but have done about 6 of them now and only 1 is any good, and that 1 is good because its not a tight layout so you don't get the rattle and the bad corner effect. That good one was Flunch btw.

I will wait until I ride it to judge but at the end of the day I have one 5 min walk away that will probably feel the same as this. Waves at Rage.

It's very hard to explain what I mean tbh. Yes I'm pleased there getting something, I'm just not happy it's this. Looking forward to how the public compare it to Saw though.

I'm going to stop looking in here so I might actually get a surprise from the coaster.

I genuinely don't find Saw as Roy as people make out, it's FAR from the roughest coaster I've rode. It's bearable in my eyes. I think that no matter what company Alton go with, people would have still been opposing the idea due to it not being a B&M. It's that simple.

I had NO idea Gerst did 8 seater lapbar trains! Thanks, whoever pointed that out.

That alleviates much of the problem for me...

It's only my enthusiast side which is disappointed by it being a Eurofighter. I know its the right choice and Furie is right, its a massive achievement.

Swarm was the first UK coaster to open since I've been involved with the community that ive thoroughly enjoyed. That I've wanted to go round to ride over and over. I know the majority of general public think that Swarm isn't as scary as it should be, or worse they say its dull, and I thoroughly understand why. The main thing that I enjoy about it is comfort.

SW7 Will be right for Alton. I just selfishly hope its got the details which will make us excited, too.

I don't really understand why any park goes to B&M or Intaride at all. B&M are expencive and the majority think they are dull and Intamin seemingly can't be trusted to do anything with competence. I wonder how right Sue is about build quality..? And I wonder who cared other than Busch?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Tbh yet again same views as Joey.

B&M for me these days are far to lame, yes The Swarm is good for the UK as we keep getting cheaper rides like this, but it's far from the best out there. It's probably the best coaster the uk has had in years though.

Yes I think Furie said it better than me. With what they can do and the space they have Gler fits the bill. But as said their are other firms that could have done this as well.

Lofty sometimes I find Saw ok but you have to be on the correct train in a certain seat. Yes I've been on far worse as well. I just don't like it though, apart from the inside drop the ride does nothing for me :(

It is what it is.

Only just realised that Fluch opened in the same year as Saw, so why on earth is Saw so horrible, yet Fluch is fine?

I find Saw quite smooth compared to most coasters. I find Nemesis more head-bangerish and even though the forces are good I find Nemesis more unbearable.

(Bracing myself for some angry coaster forcers!)

Honestly, I doubt Flunch is much if any better than the others. Their rides vary so wildly from hour to hour it's hard to make proper comparisons.

Saw is the one most people have the most experience with, and so we know what it's capable of both sides of the scale. There are times I ride it and I'm pleasantly surprised, then find myself wondering what on earth I was making a big fuss about. I get back in line a few hours later and find myself mid circuit wanting to kill myself because it would be better than making it back to the station. It's rarely good, and sometimes awful, mostly sitting in the "meh" range.

When I went to Dollywood, my frist ride on Mystery Mine was okay - and the theming, show lift and impressive finali made me like it. When I rode again a few hours later, it wasn't so fun, juddering around badly. And the second day I couldn't get a good ride on it and had several horrendous rides.

They're all like it.

Why? I dunno. I'd love a theory or two. All rides vary, but those are ridiculous. I can only assume it's the number of cars? There's more chance of having a different ride experience because all the cars vary?? I dunno.

I thought Saw's problems were due to problems with the footers shifting marginally?

Either way, I'm looking forward to waiting in the queue for a couple of hours next March/June/whenever it opens!

I dont know so much about this variation thing.

I've been on 4 Gersts; Saw, Speed, Rage and Anubis. And for me they have all been consistant on each ride; Saw - painful judders; Speed - quite intense, kept coming off with headache: Rage - great fun, if a litte rough in places, and Anubis - amazing in every way, could not fault it at all.

I know I've not been on that many coasters compared to some people, but of the 238 I've been on, I have never experienced the pain that I do on Saw, and I've never known a coaster car/train to 'judder' like they do on Saw.

So that article didn't really help us at all then? I have to say, like Furie, my first thought was "well, that's 8 Eurofighter cars then!" I also didn't know that Steel Shark had lapbars. That sounds fab, but lets face it, it's still a Eurofighter.

If that rotating drum thing does more than 2 or 3 inversions, it'll be truly vile. I'm also a bit worried about how it'll be themed. If it's themed to actually simulate doing something (eg being blown away in a gale or something, I dunno) then I think it could be awesome. If they just stick some stripy lines and flashing lights in and say "oooh, look, it makes your eyes go funny!" then it'll be utterly pointless. I'm not hopeful.

PS. I'm a bit confused by the fact that several people here seem to think that there's a branch of a French self-service cafeteria restaurant at Hansa Park. Anyhoo...

I should have a note in my signature which apologises in advance for hilarious misspellings.

How much was Saw? Because Alton are saying this is going to cost them £18 million, I just can't see a Gerstlauer (sp?) costing that much? The theming looks like it's only going to be that huge spider-like thing and the building (which may or may not contain extra goodies).

I thought we'd always ruled out long trains due to the angle of that pull up/out into/out of the vertical track?

Like others though I'll be holding judgement until I see more/ride it because Thirteen was heavily advertised to be great and it was a mere ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.