What's new

Carowinds | Fury 325 | B&M Giga Coaster

Yet there is still a romantic part of me that is sad to see B&M beating out Intamin in the 300+ space. I do much prefer the intamin track to B&M at this scale.

Martyn B said:
It looks spectacular! I love it!

Only gripe is the -\_ brake run, why do it like that? I guess there must be a reason...

And IMO, I reckon we are edging nearer to eventually having a traditional "worlds tallest".

The longer brake runs like on Leviathan and F325 are to allow the coaster to run 3 trains. Normal B&Ms that run 3 trains have this block setup:

Station
Lift Hill
MCBR
Brake Run
Transfer Track
Holding Brake

2-train coasters by B&M cut out the MCBR and Holding Brake.

By elongating the final brake run (which, btw, is BRAKE run and not break run as I see too many people write on here), B&M add a set of brakes at the flat bit on the top and the brakes on the downward slope, thus allowing them to run 3 trains with this block setup (Fury's differs from Leviathan slightly in the placement of the transfer track):

Station
Transfer Track
Lift Hill
Brake Run
Brake Run
Holding Brake

So, even without the MCBR, you're still able to run 3 trains.

Re: Carowinds | Fury 325 | B&M Giga Coaster

Ben said:
Missed the point.

They had a marque attraction already. By building something different they could have had two. Now they have one and one that used to be a marque attraction and is now a lesser version of the marque attraction.

Tell me if it was any other coaster type it'd get this reaction. Go on. Cause you'd be chatting ****.

Just proof that you can never make everyone happy. People will always whine about something

^In all honesty, Ben does make a fair point. Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited for this, and personally I think the camelbacks of Intimidator will contrast the overbanks of Fury 325 quite nicely. Still, Carowinds does lack any type of launch or a quality woodie. A wingrider or dive machine could also have made a more unique addition. I don't dislike the idea of having two massive B&Ms in the same park, but this doesn't really help fill the holes in Carowind's lineup.

Ben said:
I just don't get the point. Yay, speed hills and turns. Isn't Intimidator mostly them as well? .

Hobbes said:
^In all honesty, Ben does make a fair point. Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited for this, and personally I think the camelbacks of Intimidator will contrast the overbanks of Fury 325 quite nicely. Still, Carowinds does lack any type of launch or a quality woodie. A wingrider or dive machine could also have made a more unique addition. I don't dislike the idea of having two massive B&Ms in the same park, but this doesn't really help fill the holes in Carowind's lineup.

everyone said:
the same boring slop we had to sit through with Leviathan, etc etc etc

First of all, no obviously Intimidator isn't mostly speed hills and turns, there's nothing speedy about any of the hills on that ride.

Nobody said it was redundant when Holiday World opened Voyage. Nobody said they weren't "filling holes" like they should be. Leviathan & Fury are as different from Behemoth & Intimidator as Voyage is from Legend, or as Shivering Timbers is from Wolverine Wildcat, or as Prowler is from Timber Wolf, or as Beast is from Racer, or as Boss is from Screamin Eagle. Honestly there are a zillion parks that have multiple wooden coasters and I've never heard a peep complaining about that.

There are no "holes" in Carowinds's lineup, that's not how this industry works. There's no checklist, there are no quotas, and literally nobody outside this tiny community cares one bit. New roller coasters aren't chosen based on what the park doesn't have yet, they're chosen based on what will serve their market and sell tickets. It WOULD be fun to see a launch or an RMC at Carowinds (incidentally I love the crap out of Thunder Run, I think it's a fantastic old ride), and we very well might before too long. But, what, are you expecting people to like, complain? People who in all likelihood have no idea what LSM stands for and never will?

Even if we do decide to follow the line of thinking that Fury is just like Intimidator, are you expecting people to be upset about that? People in the Carolinas aren't going to see this and think "what's the point, it's just like Intimidator," they're going to think "WOW a huge roller coaster!!" They don't know or care that Carowinds could have gotten a wingrider, all they care about is that there's a new roller coaster and it's really big and fast, which is great! We like big, fast roller coasters! If you desperately want to ride a wingrider, Dollywood is less than 4 hours away.

This isn't a zero-sum game! It's not a BAD thing that Intimidator and Fury both have big drops and go fast, it just means there's MORE OPPORTUNITY to ride a fast coaster with big drops at Carowinds. That's GOOD. This is a GOOD THING. It's a monumental waste of time to worry about all the things Carowinds could have gotten instead. This is what they are getting. There's no reason to think they'll never get any of the other things we'd all like to see there. Clearly the park is in for an exciting decade.

I think y'all give way too much weight to this made-up idea of roller coaster "genres." All roller coasters do basically the same thing; what makes them all distinct is how they vary on the main theme. One way to do that is different seat configurations, and another way is different building materials, and another way is different modes of propulsion, and another way is different layouts and elements. It's all designed to serve the same purpose, which is to create an exciting and hopefully fun experience for the rider, and there are sooooo many more ways to vary that experience than just changing where the rider sits in relation to the track.

Intricks said:
And thus begins the "Behemoth v. Leviathan" argument, once again.

The two rides are different enough, and the GP really dont care.

And as anyone can tell you, the park's attendance doesn't suffer one iota, and the overall park capacity is just that much higher.

Ethan said:
Sorry, what? Have you ridden one?

No, obviously I would make that conclusion by just watching POVs... ;)

rtotheizzo17 said:
Maybe the most inaccurate post ever made in the history of the internet.

lol, no.

You just need to experience real airtime. Try riding a coaster from Intamin, RMC, Gerstlauer, Gravity Gro.. hell, try any other manufacturer than B&M!

_koppen said:
Ethan said:

rtotheizzo17 said:

lol, no.

You just need to experience real airtime. Try riding a coaster from Intamin, RMC, Gerstlauer, Gravity Gro.. hell, try any other manufacturer than B&M!

I've ridden Balder, Goliath, Expedition GeForce and Twister, and I prefer Silver Star's airtime over all of those. So I respect your opinion, but I disagree with you.

B&M equipped with their mega-comphy seats and clamshells as well as the freeness of their trains do floater airtime better than any other company in my opinion. Yes, it's not as strong as the ejector airtime found intamin's, gerst etc. but it's good that they do something different and do it WELL!!

_koppen said:
Ethan said:

rtotheizzo17 said:

lol, no.

You are clearly just an intamin fan boy trolling this topic.

Every B&M hyper I have been on (all of them in north america but 2) have given good to perfect floating airtime. Sure intamin can make a coaster with ejector air like skyrush (again have that cred to my name), but they have no idea what floating airtime is, and make a ton of garbage like Cheetah Hunt, Ride of Steel, and Millennium Force.

^^ Exactly! It's not a matter of "real" or "fake" airtime. It's about floater and ejector. None is better than the other, it's just a matter of preference. I actually love both a lot.

Anyway, on topic, as said before, I do think Intimidator and this one can live together in the same park, since they provide completely different experiences. If the track design didn't look the same, the GP wouldn't even think about them being similar.

^ are those 3 rides you mentioned really garbage? Haven't ridden them, but garbage sounds a bit extreme. I do agree that B&M provide perfect floater.

ThomVD said:
are those 3 rides you mentioned really garbage? Haven't ridden them, but garbage sounds a bit extreme. I do agree that B&M provide perfect floater.

Cheetah Hunt is a good coaster, but is a little on the tame side. However, it is meant to be more of a family-orientated thrill coaster. I haven't ridden the other two, but I think calling Cheetah Hunt garbage is a bit harsh.

CookieCoasters said:
ThomVD said:
are those 3 rides you mentioned really garbage? Haven't ridden them, but garbage sounds a bit extreme. I do agree that B&M provide perfect floater.

Cheetah Hunt is a good coaster, but is a little on the tame side. However, it is meant to be more of a family-orientated thrill coaster. I haven't ridden the other two, but I think calling Cheetah Hunt garbage is a bit harsh.

I have a soft spot for family coasters (Colorado Adventure almost hits my top 10, and Joris en de Draak is actually in my top 10), so I'm sure I'd love Cheetah Hunt. It's actually pretty high on my US wishlist.

steel said:
There are no "holes" in Carowinds's lineup, that's not how this industry works. There's no checklist, there are no quotas, and literally nobody outside this tiny community cares one bit. New roller coasters aren't chosen based on what the park doesn't have yet, they're chosen based on what will serve their market and sell tickets. It WOULD be fun to see a launch or an RMC at Carowinds (incidentally I love the crap out of Thunder Run, I think it's a fantastic old ride), and we very well might before too long. But, what, are you expecting people to like, complain? People who in all likelihood have no idea what LSM stands for and never will?

You're right that the industry doesn't function based on this idea of a standard lineup, I know that. But when we look at parks (especially chain parks of Carowind's size), there are certain types of rides that we expect to see. Obviously there are exceptions (tons of them), but when we look at a large Cedar Fair park, chances are we will see a hyper, invert, woodie, launch, etc. I know that this idea of a checklist is not the system used to determine new rides, but it is still a fair point to see that a park does not have a certain style of ride.

And no, I'm not expecting people to complain, I'm ridiculously excited for this thing to open. It looks fantastic and I pretty much expect it to be my new favorite when I ride it. It'll be a great addition.

ThomVD said:
I've ridden Balder, Goliath, Expedition GeForce and Twister, and I prefer Silver Star's airtime over all of those. So I respect your opinion, but I disagree with you.

That is great for your personal opinion, but it's hardly the general opinion.

CookieCoasters said:
B&M equipped with their mega-comphy seats and clamshells as well as the freeness of their trains do floater airtime better than any other company in my opinion. Yes, it's not as strong as the ejector airtime found intamin's, gerst etc. but it's good that they do something different and do it WELL!!

That's the thing, they don't do it well. Take Silver Star for an example, I have ridden it on several occasions now, with different settings on the trims, and to experience some floater airtime you need to be lucky and catch a ride where the trim brakes don't engage.

That's how I feel of the B&M hypers I've ridden, I only get airtime on some rides where the train might be extra heavy, or the trims don't engage, but for most rides there is none.

Ethan said:
Koppen, if you think B&M can't do airtime, ride a Dive Machine.

Dive Machines are totally awesome, and by far my favorite B&M creations. I was talking more in general about their more airtime focused rides.

It could almost seem that I hate B&M hypers, but I don't. When I'm at a park who have one I run around a re-ride it like all other coasters, and I do think they are really fun, they are just not airtime-machines.

rtotheizzo17 said:
You are clearly just an intamin fan boy trolling this topic.

That's the dumbest f*****g thing I read in a long time.

I am the most opened minded enthusiast, and I really don't favor any specific manufacturer above any other. I even enjoy and re-ride wild mouse's.

You on the other hand seems to be a pretty hard B&M fanboy who don't handle critic very well.

rtotheizzo17 said:
and make a ton of garbage like Cheetah Hunt, Ride of Steel, and Millennium Force.

So you think these rides are garbage, but you love B&M hypers?

Yup, you are totally a B&M fanboy.

_koppen said:
CookieCoasters said:

That's the thing, they don't do it well. Take Silver Star for an example, I have ridden it on several occasions now, with different settings on the trims, and to experience some floater airtime you need to be lucky and catch a ride where the trim brakes don't engage.

That's how I feel of the B&M hypers I've ridden, I only get airtime on some rides where the train might be extra heavy, or the trims don't engage, but for most rides there is none.

Same can be said for Intamin hypers. I've ridden Goliath many many times (probably over 60 rides on it), and I've had times where I barely got any airtime on any hill. Other times I had some of the best ejector I've ever had. I've heard people say EGF lacks airtime. You have to get lucky with any coaster pretty much. They all have better or worse days.

Just out of curiosity, which other B&M hypers have you ridden?

Just got home last night after the long drive back from Charlotte. Here's the full announcement for those that missed it as well as a couple of interviews I was able to get:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HoPz_Afp4Q[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yalRg6VQXvI[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQz8hOmk-n4[/youtube]

_koppen said:
CookieCoasters said:

In the case of Silver Star only, I can sort empathise with what your saying. It is the only B&M Hyper that I have ridden on more than one separate visit and my two experiences were very conficting. When I first rode it in 2011, it was underwhelming and lacked airtime. This made the layout very repetitive and bland. When I rode it in 2012, my experience was completely different. There was beautiful floater on every hill and it was much better and more exhilarating ride.

I would say that the only thing that makes a difference is the how much the trims are used to slow the train the down. I rode it over 10 times in 2012 and each time delivered the same great experience. I always rate coasters on most recent rides, so it sits well with me at the moment, but I have experienced what I think you were referring too.

ThomVD said:
You have to get lucky with any coaster pretty much. They all have better or worse days.

This is very true and I'd say a good chunk of the reasoning as to why people prefer different coasters.

Hobbes said:
steel said:

You're right that the industry doesn't function based on this idea of a standard lineup, I know that. But when we look at parks (especially chain parks of Carowind's size), there are certain types of rides that we expect to see. Obviously there are exceptions (tons of them), but when we look at a large Cedar Fair park, chances are we will see a hyper, invert, woodie, launch, etc. I know that this idea of a checklist is not the system used to determine new rides, but it is still a fair point to see that a park does not have a certain style of ride.

And no, I'm not expecting people to complain, I'm ridiculously excited for this thing to open. It looks fantastic and I pretty much expect it to be my new favorite when I ride it. It'll be a great addition.

Okay but Carowinds does already have a hyper, an adult invert, a family invert, a traditional woodie, a two-credit racing woodie, and a family woodie, plus a flyer, a boomerang, a mine ride, a standup, a mouse, a kiddie, and a traditional looper. That seems very diverse to me. It's true that there's no launch there, but there aren't really any launch designs that are in vogue in North America right now, with the possible exception of the family launch coaster - but if CF is trying to pump Carowinds up to the level of KI and Wonderland, they're going to go with high-profile thrill rides first.