What's new

Cedar Point | "GateKeeper" | B&M Wingrider

Crazycoaster said:
Am I the only one that doesn't like the second roll? =|

It's so.. unsymmetrical compared to the other roll, and that big long straight piece of track before the roll is gross. Looks like such an afterthought just bolted onto the side.

I agree, I've thought the same since the announcement.
But I'm getting used to it now :p

ECG said:
It's not that bad (check out the other webcams), but they need to get that beach cam cleaned off.
That's what will happen when Ohio gets an inch of freezing rain overnight. ;)

Crazycoaster said:
Am I the only one that doesn't like the second roll? =|

It's so.. unsymmetrical compared to the other roll, and that big long straight piece of track before the roll is gross. Looks like such an afterthought just bolted onto the side.
And so you have noticed the difference between a barrel roll and inline roll. Two different inversions, with barrel rolls rotating around the riders while inline rolls rotate around the track.

Hyde244 said:
ECG said:
It's not that bad (check out the other webcams), but they need to get that beach cam cleaned off.
That's what will happen when Ohio gets an inch of freezing rain overnight. ;)

Michigan didn't fair much better, it was like driving on a slip and slide. I couldn't even park on a slope.

Testing isn't too far off. :wink:

602250_421999601217237_632922247_n.jpg

From Gatekeeper's facebook page.

Y'know, that might be a downside to this project. Depending on how loud the train is through there, it could slow down front gate ops from sales, to security and turnstiles/ticket taking...

Hyde244 said:
And so you have noticed the difference between a barrel roll and inline roll. Two different inversions, with barrel rolls rotating around the riders while inline rolls rotate around the track.

I'm almost sure every roll on modern coasters is heartlined, and true ''inline'' roll does not exist.

If you compare a B&M wing coaster train to Furius baco, Arrow 4D or even B&M dive machine,
B&M wing coaster is unique that its wings extend downwards (to the track),
so the heartline is closer to the track, but still not completely co-planar with the track.
It still has a heartline of ~0.5m instead of zero (which would be the only case where an inline roll is the same as a heartline roll),
compared to 1m+ of the other winged train styles.

The reason why B&M wing coasters' rolls look like a straight line is just its hearline is low enough that the track warping is invisible to the bare eye from most angles. From the photos on page 65 you can still see that the rolls are heartlined.
It has nothing to do with whether the roll is zero-g (parabolic) or plain barrel roll (straight),
and also, apparently you can't have 2 different heartline heights for the same coaster.
Even on 4d coasters, the axis of seat rotation is on the heartline.

^ The first inversion is officially listed as a zero-g roll, and the second an inline twist. While your assessment of the train design is true, it is also true that the two inversions are intentionally different.

rollermonkey said:
Y'know, that might be a downside to this project. Depending on how loud the train is through there, it could slow down front gate ops from sales, to security and turnstiles/ticket taking...
To that end, CP is giving their Guest Services department a much needed makeover. However, I have been talking to friends who still work admissions, who are hesitant about working immediately underneath what will be the most popular ride in the park.

Just an fyi, the space between the 'heartline' and the track is the same on both rolls. The only difference is the 0-g roll with the keyholes follows a parabolic path while the second roll is a standard barrel roll. The only reason there is a 'heartline' for both of these rolls is to reduce forces on the chassis of the trains. With regard to the riders being way out on wings, the heartline is irrelevant.

Antinos said:
Just an fyi, the space between the 'heartline' and the track is the same on both rolls. The only difference is the 0-g roll with the keyholes follows a parabolic path while the second roll is a standard barrel roll. The only reason there is a 'heartline' for both of these rolls is to reduce forces on the chassis of the trains. With regard to the riders being way out on wings, the heartline is irrelevant.
Exactly
But as the second roll is also a little curved (slightly resembling a bunny hop or speed hill to me), no one can tell at the moment if it will be 0g or not without riding it..
My point is that it is definitely different from the barrel roll of, for example, x-flight.

It definitely won't be 0-g, but it will have some effect on apparent weight. It probably won't end up causing the apparent weight to become less than 0.5-g, but only time will tell.

Track is almost complete...

Gatekeepercam36_zpsb319a0b1.jpg

602233_423007224449808_1039077756_n.jpg

From the Gatekeeper facebook page.

..and here's the first full look at the trains:

IMAG0237a.jpg

IMAG0228a.jpg

IMAG0231a(1).jpg

IMAG0235a.jpg

From OnPoint - Cedar Point's Blog.

Am I the only one who do not like the lowered seats on these coasters?
The bent and downward protruding arms look prominently awkward (or awkwardly prominent?) especially when themed to bird wings or the like.

Wow, I guess I never paid much attention to the renderings, but I'm surprised the trains are red. Blue, white, black would have looked really good. Not sure I like the red.

In the first picture of the car, will that frame bar be hidden anymore? The car looks a bit...naked.

I swear with Raptor and Swarm's that frame isn't visible at all but I guess they went more for theming and experience where this is just thrills.