What's new

Coronavirus: Impact on Theme Parks

I don't like lockdown. I don't think anyone does, with the exception of the people at Netflix. But I'm more than happy to endure it for as long as it takes if it means less families are devastated. My family has already had members affected by all this, and quite frankly, it's ****. Really ****.

I literally love pubs and theme parks but to me it seems selfish to whine about the parks being closed when most of us on this site don't have any financial stake in them, we just enjoy them in our free time. So yeah, you can continue being childish, but I don't really care what you (a stranger online) thinks. Theme Parks should not open anytime soon, not unless a miracle happens. The lockdown is obviously working, looking at the numbers. I'm not in the majority as I have a secure, full-time job as a "key worker", meaning I still leave the house every day etc, so perhaps I'm not an expert on what true lockdown is like. But no matter how much people miss their Wetherspoons visits (me included) and theme park holidays, they can both wait.
But that’s my point Ethan, what you’re suggesting is literally screwing with the livelihoods of millions. And in the wider picture more lives will be lost to the economic issues than the virus itself, especially if the lockdown continues beyond the scope of government aid.

I’m not making this point because I want to ride some coasters, I’m not even making it because I want to minimise risk to my own businesses. I’m making it because I want there to be minimal loss of life whilst causing minimal damage to the economy, and avoiding further associated loss of life.

Lockdowns DO NOT cure viruses... full stop! The reason we lock down is to prevent health services from being over run like we saw in Italy (where people who may have stood a chance if they’d had treatment have lost their lives.) Hence the tagline ‘stay home, protect the NHS, save lives.’

The virus is either gonna rear it’s head over and over until heard immunity is reached, via vaccine or infection rate. Or it’s going to burn out. Short of entirely shutting down the nation until a vaccine is found, there is little you can do about that.

Last edited:
There is already massive resistance in the USA and I can understand why.
So those "protests" are being funded by 1-2 SUPER right wing people who's bottom line is getting hit and want the US to go back to work so they can make money again even if it means killing thousands if not millions. the truth here in the states is that nearly 60% of the population support the stay at home orders most of the country is under to fight the spread of corona. https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/me...-home-restrictions-fight-coronavirus-n1187011

Republic of Ireland have announced ban on gatherings of more than 5000 till 1st of September too.

This 1st of September thing is probably going to be common I guess.

Will be interesting to know what the daily visitor numbers of Tayto Park are but it's probably around that figure.
The good news is that this ‘seems’ to follow the WHO’s guidance on mass gatherings, as it ‘seems’ to be specific to events only. So doesn’t ‘seem’ to include theme parks, zoos, beaches etc.

There’s a lot of ‘seems’ in that paragraph ?? Because details are sketchy at the minute but the ban looks to revolve around the granting of , or lack of, licenses for such events.

Just a little update on the so called ‘ban on mass gatherings’ in Ireland... Seems the headlines may be a little misleading at this stage. At the moment (and I’m not saying this will continue to be the case) it looks like it is just an instruction to local authorities that they do not consider licenses for events of that size. Any actual ban on mass gatherings, and it’s length, is apparently to be decided by NPHET and announced by May 5th

"There are a number of largescale future events which require licensing and the involvement of the HSE and Garda Síochána, and public consultation in that licensing process which fall to be determined in advance of that by local authorities.

"While the issue of restrictions on future mass gatherings is a decision to be taken by the NPHET, in the case of these particular events, and taking account of the impacts on the integrity of the licensing process in the short-term due to restrictions on stakeholder involvement, local authorities have been advised by Government that event promoters should be informed that events requiring licences in excess of 5,000 will not be considered for the period up to the end of August.

"This will be kept under review in line with NPHET advices on mass gatherings more generally."

It is most likely still an indicator that tighter restrictions on gatherings of that size are to continue for longer. As they most definitely should! But I don’t see any sense in that not being considered on a week by week or month by month basis, rather than a blanket ban for so long. ??‍♂️

Lockdowns DO NOT cure viruses... full stop!
Well... in theory you can drop the infection rate to zero and wait for all infected to either die or become healthy again. It'd say that's the way a lockdown can "cure" viruses. That's what China said they did. But are their numbers trustworthy? ?

Well... in theory you can drop the infection rate to zero and wait for all infected to either die or become healthy again. It'd say that's the way a lockdown can "cure" viruses. That's what China said they did. But are their numbers trustworthy? ?

I did say short of locking down the entire nation until it’s completely gone.

Although potentially that will only temporarily halt it’s spread in a specific area, rather than completely eradicate it... You’d have to lock down the entire planet, and prevent all international travel (and possibly even the transit of goods until more is known for sure about how well the virus travels on packaging) Not really a viable option. Although some people seem to think it is... So who knows ??‍♂️

I think there is a lot happening in international travel. There are several countries that make you go to quarantine after you get there. If I understand everything correctly the virus travelling on packages or other things is not a real danger.

I think there is a lot happening in international travel. There are several countries that make you go to quarantine after you get there. If I understand everything correctly the virus travelling on packages or other things is not a real danger.
It’s interesting and unusual that the UK still has NO travel restrictions on people coming in and isn’t imposing any quarantining or testing on anyone on arrival. Just a lack of resources I guess. Pretty terrible, really.

You’re absolutely right in that is what the WHO are advising, but if you look at the wording it is clear that they are not, at this stage, sure that packaging presents no risk.

It is not certain how long the virus that causes COVID-19 survives on surfaces, but it seems to behave like other coronaviruses. Studies suggest that coronaviruses (including preliminary information on the COVID-19 virus) may persist on surfaces for a few hours or up to several days. This may vary under different conditions (e.g. type of surface, temperature or humidity of the environment).

If you think a surface may be infected, clean it with simple disinfectant to kill the virus and protect yourself and others. Clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or wash them with soap and water. Avoid touching your eyes, mouth, or nose.

And

Is it safe to receive a package from any area where COVID-19 has been reported?

Yes. The likelihood of an infected person contaminating commercial goods is low and the risk of catching the virus that causes COVID-19 from a package that has been moved, travelled, and exposed to different conditions and temperature is also low.

Note the repeated use of the word low.

Splitting hairs though, the fact remains that to guarantee the eradication of the virus through lockdown would require extended global lockdown and unlimited global cooperation. It’s just not practical.

More likely, and doable would be to eradicate the issue here, and close our borders indefinitely. But again, the economic impact of that alone could cost us as a country, in human suffering and possibly even death, more than the virus itself.

More likely, and doable would be to eradicate the issue here, and close our borders indefinitely. But again, the economic impact of that alone could cost us as a country, in human suffering and possibly even death, more than the virus itself.

And what is happening right now? Businesses are massively going bankrupt. Probably the highest unemployment rates ever recorded.
Lots of people are living alone and are forced to live in social isolation. That's like the worst punishment in prison.
Getting grocery's twice a week, while nobody is talking and looks at each other like they have the plague doesn't really help to get rid of the feeling of being isolated..

Many many many people are suffering from depressions and are only alive because of some periodical social activities like sports, clubs, etc. or visits to or from other people.
Or have something to look forward to, like a concert, festival or themepark visit.

And yes. Fun things are the most important things in the world. Why would you want to live if you don't have fun?

I will guarantee that the number of suicides will go up dramatically if you take anything fun to look forward to away for too long.

I know i'm getting depressed. Probably having to spend the next 4 months on my own while everything fun is forbidden..
Luckily i still have a job and go to the office at least once a week.

I know it is hell for those who now are also unemployed, knowing that the economy will suffer for a long time.!

Last edited:
And what is happening right now? Businesses are massively going bankrupt. Probably the highest unemployment rates ever recorded.
Lots of people are living alone and are forced to live in social isolation. That's like the worst punishment in prison.
Getting grocery's twice a week, while nobody is talking and looks at each other like they have the plague doesn't really help to get rid of the feeling of being isolated..

Many many many people are suffering from depressions and are only alive because of some periodical social activities like sports, clubs, etc. or visits to or from other people.
Or have something to look forward to, like a concert, festival or themepark visit.

And yes. Fun things are the most important things in the world. Why would you want to live if you don't have fun?

I will guarantee that the number of suicides will go up dramatically if you take anything fun to look forward to away for too long.

I know i'm getting depressed. Probably having to spend the next 4 months on my own while everything fun is forbidden..
Luckily i still have a job and go to the office at least once a week.

I know it is hell for those who now are also unemployed, knowing that the economy will suffer for a long time.!
My point exactly... Lockdown should only go on for as long as is absolutely necessary, otherwise we risk doing more harm than good. It’s just not a practical long term solution.

My point exactly... Lockdown should only go on for as long as is absolutely necessary, otherwise we risk doing more harm than good. It’s just not a practical long term solution.
I suspect here in the UK there will possibly be one more 3 week extension to this lockdown but that really would be it. People would simply not put up with it any longer. Even that next 3 week lockdown would surely see all takeaways such as McDonalds reopen and people being able to get a haircut again, other shops soon after. If social distancing needs to be the new norm after that we may as well adapt to that as quick as possible anyway but being able to do the things people do for living a somewhat normal life and for health like visiting country parks and gyms and where you are not bunched together any more than at a supermarket etc.

So with the chinese system, does that mean that couples, who live in the same house, must still sit seperately?
Good logic there, no use whatsoever, and the person coughing in the front seat when the train is moving, will infect all those sat behind.

Shanghai Disneyland (the park) is now reportedly ramping up testing that prepares for a potential opening; social distancing markers have been seen outside the park entrance, temperature checks have been seen being tested, and castle light shows have been seen being tested too. Take a look at this article: https://blogmickey.com/2020/04/shanghai-disneyland-reportedly-begins-simulations-for-reopening/

Judging by this, I'd say that a reopening of Shanghai Disneyland Park may be imminent (within the next month, for sure).

The Shanghai Disney markers look so unnecessarily complicated! Like surely it'd be better to have markers telling people where to stand, than where not to stand? And the yellow and black hazard tape on the floors looks like some abstract art!