What's new

Kings Island | Banshee | B&M Invert

For those grasping at a chance to see the train on the live webcam, it is currently resting on the lift hill.

uxiT59V1RCVkNCcalER269vVDgqBy5XsUoPZw7nuzOs

Hyde244 said:
^ Yes.

At this point, the critical thing for Kings Island to do is make sure the train can make it through the layout at below-normal speeds. Hence the beginning of testing with "soft" wheels, which provide greater rolling-resistance that causes the train to travel slower.

Gradually, Kings Island will phase in "hard" wheels, which are made from the normal operation material, and the roller coaster will travel at its intended speed.

We don't want a repeat of this, which is why we slow test:
I figured but I wasn't 100% sure.

Cedar Fair execs are now taking test rides. Moving along rather quickly!

971165_10152650400148368_1248822522_n.jpg

Not sure if this has been brought up before but I do not like that type of harness! I assume it will operate the same way as the Wing Riders and get tighter and tighter as your going round. Rapture and The Swarm both pin you in the sit and sometimes at the end of the ride your completely unable to move. I like the freedom the harness gives you on the likes of Montu and Nemesis!

Re: Kings Island | Banshee | B&M Invert

I believe Cedar Fair has stated that the vest portion of the harness will not lock, just like Gatekeeper's.

^ The vest part, the actual restraint as a whole still locks. It's just the part that digs into your shoulders will not lock down and pin you in quite as much.

therick311 said:
I believe Cedar Fair has stated that the vest portion of the harness will not lock, just like Gatekeeper's.

Gatekeeper has the same issue (if not worse) as Swarm and Raptor so that's either made up or it actually makes no difference in the way the restraints have been designed and the occasional dreadful pain inflicted on riders is just unavoidable.

Still I'm intrigued as to what they'll be like on a forceful inverter (fears the worst).

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

marc said:
Am I the only person that likes the vests?
I like them too, Gatekeepers were nowhere near as bad as everyone made out. I hardly noticed any tightening through the layout, it was only when stuck on the brake run for 5 mins while then cleaned a sicky seat that I noticed it was tight.
The 2nd run I didn't notice any tightening at all, and there is absolutely no headbashing.

The restrains worry me a little also. I'm not usually a complainer when it comes to restraints and whilst I don't think the wing rider design is truly awful, its far from good. B&Ms traditional OTSR design is the best in my opinion. I just don't get why you'd change something that works so well? Its clearly safe, its unobstructive, accommodating to a range of sized people and comfortable. The weirdest thing about the vests is one ride will be fine, and the next crush you so tight you can barely breath. I think the only reason it doesn't happen on the flying coasters is that you're more often pushing against them, preventing them from locking any tighter. What needs to happen is a design that prevents the ratchet increasing after the trains are dispatched. This would increase guest perception of safety too, because most people think any movement in the restraint after it's locked is bad. They don't understand his it works, even after explanation.

I still don't get why restraint perception varies as much as it does. You'd think it was body shape, but Peep and I couldn't be less physically alike.

The ratchet design is not necessary. I often leave a gap in the traditional restraints because I like being fully suspended in the seat during airtime :) You don’t notice the vest so much when your going around the track its the 10 minutes sitting on the brake run during a breakdown which was awful. They do look good though!

peep said:
therick311 said:

Gatekeeper has the same issue (if not worse) as Swarm and Raptor so that's either made up or it actually makes no difference in the way the restraints have been designed and the occasional dreadful pain inflicted on riders is just unavoidable.

Still I'm intrigued as to what they'll be like on a forceful inverter (fears the worst).

They modified Gatekeeper's restraints around late July/early August last year. The vest portion no longer locks.

therick311 said:
peep said:
therick311 said:

They modified Gatekeeper's restraints around late July/early August last year. The vest portion no longer locks.

Not on all trains. I went on Gatekeeper mid-August and my vest didn't lock so I was so pinned at the end of the ride it was painful. I never, ever, complain about restraints, but this one was seriously uncomfortable. Then again, it's also been said that the new B&M restraints work fine for people on the bigger/larger side, while I on the small-ish side.

They modified the restraints slowly, row by row, over a month or so. You may have just had an unlucky seat that had not yet been modified.

Anyway, back to the topic and the original point that I was making. Cedar Fair has stated that the vests on Banshee will not lock.

This is from Antinos, in January.
Also, I've heard that the locking pins have been removed from the vests on Gatekeeper and every vest on Banshee will also have its locking pins removed prior to opening. Some other parks with wing coasters have begun to remove their locking pins as well.

marc said:
Am I the only person that likes the vests?

I like the vests as well. I've never had a problem with X-Flight's vests, and they're not that tight.

I wonder if other inverts could get this new type of train.

^ They theoretically could, but it would be a tough cost to rationalize. Coaster trains are anything but cheap, and to do it only so restraints fit a different way is hardly a benefit worth spending for.