What's new

Saw Alive: Thorpe Park Horror Maze for 2010

^I posted it a while ago when Thorpe put out an advert for actors and said they would get paid £70 a day.

Martyn B said:
Shouldn't this be in the Construction section by now..?

Only coasters go in there.

The pay is very good for this sort of thing. Makes me think that there might be more to that job than just jumping out at people, maybe operating special effects?

Well Alton pay their actors roughly a tenner an hour, So maybe thorpe were thinking of an average day's pay? I doubt they can afford £70 a day for all those actors =/

^Yay, another Thorpe publicity stunt.

Who knows what Thorpe have got in store for us when it opens.

We all do. A horror walk though, themed to Saw, with actors jumping out occassionally.

gavin said:
^Yay, another Thorpe publicity stunt.

Who knows what Thorpe have got in store for us when it opens.

We all do. A horror walk though, themed to Saw, with actors jumping out occassionally.

Amen Gavin, Amen!

There is nothing left to be even remotely surprised about this attraction!

We dont really need there to be. It will be mobbed and the public will love it. They have created a new attraction on a budget using the existing structure and license they have which is brilliant. Its not really anything to get me exciting but I can see why others may.

And from the footage I've seen other the Saw maze's, there's isn't too many people jumping out on you. You just walk round and look at people in the traps. YAY.

Anyway, you can't complain really, they did only get a large coaster last year, and this is just a filler attraction. Its nice to see something differen't in a way.

^Thank you Martyn that is what I was saying as well, no one knows if people will jump out it is just being assumed.

A good Scare Attraction can be defined by you re-riding and getting at least 3/4 startles each time.

This however, may not. Personally, I think the Saw franchise for this is a little bit of a rushed element. It's not the cleverest of moves in Thorpe Park's history. The Saw theme is extremely restricting in a Scare Attraction, due to the fact that the film is created for it's utter 'gore' element. No jumps. This then makes it decidedly harder to create actual jumps without using a pig's head character lunging at you with a needle. I wouldn't expect this to be one of the jumpiest attraction/maze out there, just expect a lot of 'Revulsion Scares' and less 'Startle Scares'.

Yeah. Mark and I both know alot about the industry. It's just that here Mark can be trusted a little bit more as I really like Saw so that may get in the way of my opinion. :p

Thanks Marc :).

Ollie has hit the nail on the head there. He's an excellent member to ask about the Scare/Haunted Attraction sector of the industry as he really does know a hell of a lot.

I'm sure that it will turn out great for the first few weeks until the realisation hits that they're giving the actors too much money and they cut back either actors or pay, either way there'll be less actors in a few months.

It happens more then you imagine in the Scare sector.

It's not about numbers in mazes though. If it's too crowded it'll loose it's effect and the same will happen if it's too quiet. They have to act well and blend into their roles and scenes to make it feel real and to un-nerve patrons more.

In one sense that's true. On the other hand if you had several obvious scenes and no actors, it would actualy numb your enjoyment level. Believe me it's happened to me on several occasions in certain attractions that I will leave nameless.

There is great potential with this. It just needs to be done right to satisfy both guests and the fans. Taking on a film adaption for a maze is a huge task and limits what you can do unless you've thoroughly planned it in advance. With a custom theme/story you have unlimited creative control over what happens but then you have to be more imaginative and it relies more on experience to make the scares work and to create an imersive environment.

This is gonna be so cool!
This may sound a little stupid, and somebody may have already mentioned it, but is it only going to be there for the 2010 season or will it remain there for years to come?

Apparently Thorpe have put new pictures on their official Facebook page but I can't find them at the moment as Facebook is being ****.