What's new

Silver Dollar City | Time Traveler | Mack Looping Launched Spinner

Oh boy, I can't say I like the idea of the spinning being "trimmed". Hopefully it's to stop really intense spinning, but I worry they'll kill any serious momentum that the spinning could build. Fingers crossed!

Does that also apply to if the car is potentially perfectly weighted and there isn't enough spinning, does it throttle up and maintain a minimum spin?
I somehow doubt that? I feel like it would be a bit awkward to control, and possibly make the ride feel a bit strange (read: ****). Would be a cool idea if they could encourage spinning at certain spots of the ride though!

Since this is a completely new design for Mack I imagine it'll have to go through a lot of tweaking on how much (or little) friction will be applied. It will be interesting to see how noticeable it is to riders.

The way I understand this mechanism:

*The ride has an onboard rev counter that can tell how fast it's spinning.
*If it spins too fast, it sends a signal which clicks on an electromagnet.
*This electromagnet attracts a friction plate to itself, which exerts force and slows the spin considerably.

Correct? It honestly doesn't seem that complicated.

The way I understand this mechanism:

*The ride has an onboard rev counter that can tell how fast it's spinning.
*If it spins too fast, it sends a signal which clicks on an electromagnet.
*This electromagnet attracts a friction plate to itself, which exerts force and slows the spin considerably.

Correct? It honestly doesn't seem that complicated.
It could also be magnetic brake without friction. I think it is more likely, a friction based system would probably brake too hard/be too noticable.

It could also be magnetic brake without friction. I think it is more likely, a friction based system would probably brake too hard/be too noticable.

I'm not sure the are using the word "friction" in the literal sense, but I agree with you that if they are it could be too hard.

I'm not sure the are using the word "friction" in the literal sense, but I agree with you that if they are it could be too hard.
It would probably no problem to build a ring-shaped eddy current brake in there. It would have the advantage that it brakes harder if it spins faster, and less if it spins slower. That way you would barely notice it kicking in. It would have the further advantage that it would need no/less maintenance, if there was really friction in there, they would have to service that part regularly.

Last edited:
It would probably no problem to build a ring-shaped eddy current brake in there. It would have the advantage that it brakes harder if it spins faster, and less if it spins slower. That way you would barely notice it kicking in. It would have the further advantage that it would need no/less maintenance, if there was really friction in there, they would have to service that part regularly.
If I worked for Mack, and had been tasked with this problem, that would have been design idea #1. Sounds like a workable, simple, well understood system requiring little maintenance and would give a smooth rider experience.

Last edited:
FULL SIZED PHOTOS & MORE PHOTOS: HERE
Track installation is almost complete. The only pieces left to install are the transfer track.

21272667_10155659309152232_7325088258551057301_n.jpg

21271108_10155659308912232_2993718154104714063_n.jpg

21272125_10155659308762232_7124861941972687704_n.jpg

I rather like the extra buildings/shelters on the bridge.

So is that the vertical transfer track?

Yep. It seems that intel was incorrect. I know you haven't been following this thread too faithfully, but we had already confirmed this fact back before the park officially announced the ride. Welcome to mid-August, Ben.

No, I followed the thread close enough to know your last post before the ride was announced, was to debunk Hixee saying we could rule out a vertical transfer track.

Don't get precious about it, just man up.