What's new

Thorpe Fright Nights 2012

Funny that the BGT ones are hardcore, because from what I've seen the BGW ones are a bit... lame...? Not that I've done one. They just kinda sound like they are. Different audience I guess!

I don't do mazes, but I do think Thorpe should aim to have the most terrifying ones. Unfortunately, that probably translates to making people jump the most, and it shouldn't.

The problem I have with ALL of the Merlin mazes is that they're the same damn thing over and over. Walk through windy rooms and people covered in cheap-ass make-up and a shredded Primark t-shirt jump out at you or snort in your ear or some ****. At least Experiment 10 began to try something different, although when I did it towards the end of the Halloween season last year it had resorted back to being people going 'boo' at you as opposed to the psychologically traumatic awesomeness they presented when the maze first opened.

I just REALLY want to see them try something different. Anything!

Lofty said:
But Alton don't really, the park is far too big to have a cohesive theme running through it, especially when it comes to their budget. Thorpe just could be utilised a lot more than it is so the event feels larger, that's what's annoying about Scarefest, it doesn't feel like an event, it feels like several scare attractions thrown in, they've tried to make it more cohesive by adding the Scarezone, but it's still not filling it as an "event".

Look up the word 'potential'. BGA is a HUGE park too.

The scariest thing I've ever seen in a Thorpe maze was years ago. There was a woman sat on a larder freezer and bashing a babies head against it whilst all the while giving the passers by the most sinister look. It certainly wasn't a jump out scare but I found far more unnerving and 'scary'. It was freaky. If they had more of that sort of thing to offset the jump scares it would be more balanced and far more effective IMO.

Lol, the larder freezer at Thorpe that always appears in a different location XD

They usually just slam it now to make people jump <//3

Se7en is completely different to the other mazes. It's a very visual maze and very dark and disturbing.
We had an actor do a spider climb up the walls of one of the corridors once and we had to walk under him to get past.
Plus you have that whole gross kitchen scene with the dead fat guy and the smell of rotting flesh and the scene with the three doors and everyone spends ages stood there too scared to open any of them.
The cage at the end is clever as well with the actors appearing and disappearing.

The mazes are much better when the actors know you though. They usually go more full on and once one of the actors in the bedroom scene grabbed someone he knew, pushed him onto the bed, mounted him and started getting right up in his face and scaring him. :p

Anyway. Personally I feel the mazes are fine as they are at the moment. The public love them and they get great reactions from most people. They're also ok for shows as they either have the Circus of Horrors or Barry & Stuart which adds something to the event.
The main thing Thorpe should work on doing is just improving the theme around the park and making it more consistent. Alton just theme Towers street and then the rest of the park is exactly how it is every day of the year.
Last year Thorpe had a couple of roaming actors which people seemed to enjoy. So maybe have a few more of them rather than trying a scare zone again.

Ben said:
Lofty said:
But Alton don't really, the park is far too big to have a cohesive theme running through it, especially when it comes to their budget. Thorpe just could be utilised a lot more than it is so the event feels larger, that's what's annoying about Scarefest, it doesn't feel like an event, it feels like several scare attractions thrown in, they've tried to make it more cohesive by adding the Scarezone, but it's still not filling it as an "event".

But Busch out a LOT more money into their attractions and event than Alton or any other Merlin attraction. We really need a park willing to add more of a budget per year to their events, Alton won't be one of them, sadly.

The thing is, as up and coming as horror attractions are in the UK, they're never going to get the hype that Halloween attractions in the US do because Halloween in the UK just isn't comparable to the event it is in the US. I think if the UK took it seriously as a holiday then parks would put more money into it as it would be something everybody celebrates, as opposed to what it actually is in the UK: a gimmicky holiday that we enjoy, but not everybody participates in and even those of us that do don't take it as seriously as something like Christmas.

I can't agree more, it's growing year upon year, but we're still at least 10-15 years behind the USA.

^Which makes complete sense since Halloween is a much bigger deal in the USA, and has been for many, many years.

Unfortunately, these days we seem to be copying American idiocies, sorry "culture", more and more - Halloween getting bigger, school proms, paedo-centric beauty pageants etc. - so these events, while they'll never be as good as those in the American parks, will continue to gain popularity.

Lofty said:
Ben said:
Lofty said:

But Busch out a LOT more money into their attractions and event than Alton or any other Merlin attraction. We really need a park willing to add more of a budget per year to their events, Alton won't be one of them, sadly.

Potential.

Ie, if they tried.

Ie, if they put the money in.

IF

gavin said:
Unfortunately, these days we seem to be copying American idiocies, sorry "culture", more and more - Halloween getting bigger, school proms, paedo-centric beauty pageants etc. - so these events, while they'll never be as good as those in the American parks, will continue to gain popularity.
Which is better for me, I get paid more ;)

Ben said:
Potential.

Ie, if they tried.

Ie, if they put the money in.

IF

I do see where you're coming from, just hopefully in the future, they do actually brave it and invest more money. I don't like this arrogance of "We don't need to add more because people are still going to come". it's done way too much in the UK.

It's a very business-centric decision though, Halloween and Scare stuff in general is a relatively small thing in the UK, regardless of it growing and growing every year...

As such, the parks won't be willing to invest as heavily as the American parks until the Scare industry and Halloween become exceptionally big... On the other hand, if the parks were to invest, it would probably help develop the Scare side of things as a whole...

But considering Merlin and it's love of market research, they've probably come to the decision based on research that excessive Halloween investment to the level of American parks is not wise at this time...

Thorpe are posting clues about the new maze online.

Clue number 1. If you 'HATED' the mazes last year, then this will have you turning in your grave...

Clue number 2 is right here. Can you see what is there, or will this be yet another cross for you to bear...?
546263_10151198417370867_1123666312_n.jpg

^Jesus zombie!

Lofty said:
I don't like this arrogance of "We don't need to add more because people are still going to come". it's done way too much in the UK.

I hate it as well - in general, not with scare attractions as I don't give a **** - but it's the truth. Why spend time and money on something when you don't need to really bother?

Ollie said:
Thorpe are posting clues about the new maze online.

Clue number 1. If you 'HATED' the mazes last year, then this will have you turning in your grave...

Clue number 2 is right here. Can you see what is there, or will this be yet another cross for you to bear...?
546263_10151198417370867_1123666312_n.jpg

Gaga maze!

And not spending more than you have to isn't arrogant, it's business.

They're not there to be artistic and amazing, they want to make cassssshhhh.

Yeah, whilst that's true, Boiler House & Carnival of Screams are against wha you've put. Or rather, was until Boiler House left, thankfully. It was literally half arsed and showed, people thought it was dire. Carnival is meant to be artistic and crazy, it pays off, but isnt scary, at all.

Also. YES for including religion into their attractions. Welcome to the NEW industry, finally... <3

gavin said:
^Jesus zombie!
Isn't that more Easter than Halloween?

In all seriousness, they've got a ride with a station themed to a church. Is it likely to be something over on swarm island? I kinda hope not, especially not if its a zone/wandering actors rather than a maze. Is kinda like to at least try and night ride The Swarm

the-passing-logo-large-newfor2012.jpg

New for 2012, prepare to be tried, tested and sentenced to death in The Passing, a uniquely interactive, intensely horrifying experience that will terrify even the bravest of thrill-seekers to their core.

Using cutting edge techniques never seen before at Thorpe Park, you will experience the suffocating and claustrophobic terror of having your head confined and your sight removed by a hessian body bag as you face the unknown horrors of the after-life. Are you brave enough to book your time to die?

As one of the darkest and twisted criminals to wreak havoc upon society, you are being tried, tested and sentenced to death. And that’s just the beginning of your suffering as the after-life will demand you brave the unknown horrors of The Passing in order to reach your final resting place.

Are you ready for your judgement day? As murderers, arsonists and kidnappers you must be brought to justice and pay for your crimes with your life. No one will escape The Passing and as you struggle for your last breath in this world, your nightmare will begin in the next.

As one of the dead you will be bagged and tagged, ready to face up to your own burial. Experience suffocating terror as you lay trapped in your own body, surrounded by the stench of fear with only your guilt for company.

The echoes of those who you have hurt will ring in your ears as you stumble through the after-life in search of salvation. Will you reach redemption and finally rest in peace or will you be left to rot deep underground for all eternity?

Brave enough to book your time to die now? Early bird tickets just £3.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

This actually sounds amazing. Gutted that you have to pay extra but then I guess it's needed as it's got a slower throughput and offers a more unique experience.