What's new

Thorpe Fright Nights 2012

^^ You didn't have forms for E10, just wristbands which they gave randomly to people in our group.

I went on opening night where Experiment 10 was at its most 'extreme' and we didn't fill in forms or have wristbands, we were just shouted at and shoved in a room unexpectedly, which is partly why it was so effective first time around.

^ Yes, annual pass night was fab.

Staff night was pretty gruesome too. 10 minutes in that box WITH someone was a tad terrifying <3

Thorpe's posted a teaser image for the new maze. Looks quite good (as far as you can tell from the image). Interested in seeing how it turns out.
185001_10151232742915867_1821165148_n.jpg

So... we'll go into the morgue? As a dead body? I'm going on the 20th by the way so i'll do a review somewhere :)

Funnily enough, I'm planning to go for the 20th aswell!

How much are fastpasses for the mazes and roughly how busy will it be?

^ Me and my mates have ordered them, and it was £3 per person, but it'll be more on the day :L

EDIT - That was for the Passing only, not sure about the rest.

The passing is the only maze in which you need to pay for as an add on, all the rest are included within the admission price itself.

will be goin on the 12th so will see what happens ;)

Double post! :L From the Facebook page...

ffhca.jpg

"During a photo shoot at The Passing we could feel something sinister in the air. When we developed the shots this is what we saw. Can you make out what it might be?"

Can't wait to try this out next weekend! Still wondering how it's going to work (plot and simulating death etc). Obviously it won't be anything on what Mark has just done in FL, but hey. We can try! ;)

Nothing in Florida was like this really. To be blatantly honest; the sets, theming, story lines are all amazing out there, the acting and intensity of the attractions, not so much. UK Haunts are much more interesting and superior in terms of pressure and intense techniques to scare you. A lot of the Floridian haunts are soon "by the book", to which a lot of the UK Industry has now put a two-finger salute to, it's just nice to see a larger event that more people get to visit, have now done too.

Looking forward to giving it a go. Even if it turns out crap it's something unique and different and I applaud the ents team for trying to create a new experience.
£3 isn't too much to ask either so don't mind it for the one maze.

You should come Mark. :)

Double post. Some more images from The Passing. :)
The-Passing-001.jpg

The-Passing-002.jpg

The-Passing-003.jpg

Also a Press Release.
Torture on your Senses
Sensory deprivation at Thorpe Park’s new Fright Nights attraction, The Passing, proves too extreme to handle

Concerned Park officials at the nation’s Thrill Capital, Thorpe Park, were right to be worried that their newest Fright Nights attraction, The Passing, will be too extreme for the public to handle when it opens this week. When Park bosses called upon a top psychologist for advice, his findings proved that the live action horror maze, where thrill-seekers will experience the suffocating terror of having their head confined by a claustrophobic hood, had inadvertently produced an atmosphere of sensory deprivation, a state that has been known to cause disturbing side-effects such as hallucinations, extreme anxiety, bizarre thoughts and suggestibility.

For the first time at Thorpe Park, visitors to The Passing will be faced with a manipulation of their senses; a claustrophobic hood will restrict their sight and sound, a specially devised ‘smell of fear’ will be pumped into the attraction and with limited vision, every surface visitors place their hands on will result in a heightened sense of touch. In his research, Dr Lewis found that through this compromising of the senses, stimulation is cut off from sensory receptors in the brain and in the absence of information, the brain begins to create thoughts of its own resulting in hallucinations and extreme anxiety in vulnerable individuals.

Working with the Park, Dr Lewis has suggested a course of changes that will limit the amount of negative effects the maze will have on its visitors, from introducing a safe word to making tweaks to when and where different senses are manipulated.

Dr Lewis said: “The Passing could be one of the most extreme experiences that many people will go through as the manipulation of the senses causes the brain to misidentify the source of its own thoughts. I’ve suggested introducing a safe word to protect the more vulnerable, however, for many, while the emotions could well be intense, the short time period of the attraction and the fact that the individual knows that nothing bad will actually occur, will result in an exciting and thrilling experience.”

Mike Vallis, Divisional Director of Thorpe Park, said: “At Thorpe Park we know our guests want us to push them to the limits of terror when they come to Fright Nights, however with the uniqueness of the techniques we are using in The Passing, we were worried that we had gone one step too far which is why we consulted with Dr Lewis. We have taken on-board his feedback and will be tweaking the attraction to ensure extreme horror doesn’t compromise safety when we begin Fright Nights on Friday.”

Yeah, they're not proper hoods, they're only there's to minimise the viewing, you can still see partial things through the hoods, they're actually clever in design.

That press release is also ****. Ha. We've done that countless times, the whole, "An independent party who's a psychologist has come inside and said its too intense, but we're opening anyway". Hahahaha. Most people will actually believe this…

Last weekend I did the Hellements maze at Tulleys farm, which also uses the hoods (i'm not a huge fan of scare attractions, but Tulleys is great to get you in the mood for Halloween).

The effect was quite good, although I wouldn't say it was all out scary...more disorientating. The hoods Tulleys' used look a lot thicker and more opaque than the Thorpe ones, and you could still make out the odd shape through them, so I'm thinking the Thorpe version might not be very good at all.

Tulley's had a lot of temperature, water, fire effects that ended up giving a pretty decent experience as these things go, but I doubt Thorpe will utilise such exciting effects, meaning it will just be dark with people poking you...i.e. a bit crap

The main problem I had with this type of maze though was that you keep walking into the back of the person in front because you can't see anything. That ruins the whole sensory deprivation idea when the whole time, all you hear is people shouting 'ohh my foot'!

Yeah, Hellements is clever because it takes use of the 'Elements' to give an experience. It actually started as a tester for something bigger and better, but it was so popular they didn't change it.

I've got the feeling that you won't stay in a large group for as long as you expect. Can see group splitting happening quite a bit in The Passing.