What's new

Thorpe Fright Nights 2012

^ At the entrance, yes. Elsewhere in the park they have soundclips of the escaped prisoners trying to intimidate guests. Colossus has different music but I have no idea if the park made it or if it's from a film.

Although some are cheesy I quite like the announcements this year, as they state that each ride is a way of you being trialled for your 'crimes'. Stealth's "3...2...1...FIIIRRRE!" just sounds...really perverted, which Peep had to add body movements to lol. What was up with people being handed Polos just before being raised on Detonator though? I can't remember what Rush's announcement was but it was awful. Inferno's music is still unchanged, complete with broken speakers that can't handle the bass. Ugh!

The new Experiment 10 ending is done really well! The rest was a bit of a mess though since certain areas had actors missing, resulting in a group of about 15 of us all ending up in the same place whereas usually it's just you and maybe one other throughout the whole thing. The individual actors later on didn't quite know what to do with such a big group which was incredibly awkward and really ruined the whole atmosphere of the maze. Although it was funny watching one actor trying and failing to hide his laughter when a young chav said "Urgh you spat on me, bruv! That's grim!".

Overall it seemed they weren't actually ready to shift the park into Fright Nights. It was a nice introduction, however, to walk across the bridge with an escaped inmate stalking us and shouting abuse only for us to walk right into another with a bag on his head who chased us halfway into the dome. As I found out for myself wearing my ridiculous fox onesie, they especially relentlessly pick on people who are dressed up...so the GF costumers have that to look forward to!

Joey said:
I'm surprised they use a real chainsaw at all. Is it just without the blade on it?
Yeah they take the chain and the belt off so essentially it's just making the noise. Petrol ones are the best though. Still got to fix mine haha.

Yeah, as Ollie said, basically, you remove the moving components, mainly the chain, the spinning wheel (inside that runs the chain) and you're ready to go. It's totally legal and safe, as long as you have adequate Ventilation, which Thorpe clearly don't.

I spent the weekend at Thorpe Park and had a fantastic time, and thought the event was very good, I can't really find anything to fault.

The Asylum was something I hoped would return for this year, but I was quite concerned by some reviews of it on Friday night however it didn't disappoint, the actors were great and the bloke with the chainsaw at the end was very good too, the actors were the same on both days so I am unsure why people were so disappointed by it on Friday.

Experiment 10 wasn't as jumpy or scary as I expected, I was really unsure what to expect but I built up a lot of fear about it for no reason at all.

The Curse was ok, but nothing that special although can't fault the actor interaction.

The Passing was a little weird, the start of it was worse than any actor jumping out and in your face, after that I pretty much remebered all of it from Hellgate and the lack of actors did surprise me.

Saw Alive was far too predictable.

Overall, fantastic event and I am gutted I won't be back at Thorpe until 2013.

Love that Thorpe are having roaming actors round the park. Works better than them attempting a scare zone.

Only downside is that there's about 12 actors and they all go round the park together so it's quite easy not to see them at all while you're there.
Although every now and then they hang around the exit of Asylum and do this which is amazing. Just watch the video. :)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHK2yuF8qDk[/youtube]

Haha that's awesome :D Hopefully they'll do that when I go. Ollie, what day are you going or have you already been?

I went on sunday and what is with those horrible flood lights. I mean I know they don't get Universal budget but surely they can get those gel lights.

Flood lights can have gels on them. You just need industrial strength coloured gels to cope with the heat, but it's easily do-able, it's just sheer laziness that theyre not coloured.

Oh did not know that. Then they really should push themselves considering their wasn't hardly any horror theming around the park. It did feel a bit like a parking lot with those lights.

In a way the park has potential to be like Universal. They should of closed The Curse and put more actors around the park (which were fantastic). Add a few gels and fog macheines with loud sound effects and their you got a budget Universal.

^I really like The Curse, I think the theme is a lot more thought out and well executed than the other mazes.

^^ the thing is, is back in the day it did used to be like that. Rides crewes also decorated their ride stations and the like. Thorpe has been lacking and lacking for the past few years now and really do need to keep on with the mazes, and well just change them up a little so they are not repetative year in year out. and then focus on the over all feel of the park, as stated before gels, fog machines. Even now they have a running theme of the state prision, could get more done with say red siren lights about chain link fences even little things like raising the curse up a little and having red water in the beach bit with mannaquins floating in the water like bodies, simple and cheap things = big changes. If you loose the sense of that your at a halloween event you wont be that hyped/on edge for the mazes.

well thats my two cents anyways lol

Little changes by raising a whole attraction, adding water underneath (when it's running a hell of a lot of electrical equipment inside and cables along its floor etc) & colouring a mass amount of water? They're kind lf far from little changes. Little changes would be to add an overall soundtrack, more scare actors that cover a larger area, lighting & other atmospherics, as you said.

The Passing - I went on The Passing today and I can confirm that it is the biggest pile of w@nk ever to wear the title of a "scare maze"... I can't believe I paid 3 quid for it! Worst ever addition to the lineup.

One unexpected turn though - I've never rated The Curse, but this year it was amazing! They've darkened it up and filled it out with smoke. Loads of actors too!

Experiment 10 has some odd changes towards the end... Very anti-climatical!

Saw Alive - Really cool, but not scary. Enjoyed it though. Very gloomy atmosphere and yay to women in bras and knickers!

Asylum - very repetitive and if anything needs to be changed, its this.

Just got back from doing The Passing. Love the twist but other than that it was really short, unscary, badly thought out and just generally crap. Worst maze at the park for sure and totally not worth the extra.

The hoods were see-through, fell off when you crawled, and mine and my friends both broke so the speakers were falling in our faces the whole time.

Half way round were went the wrong way into the room we started from. We stood in it for five minutes with no one there and nothing happening, until finally we banged on a wall to be let out! Apparently the same thing happened to a TPR group too, so it must be a bad layout.

As usual with Thorpe it was a good idea, badly carried out. Tulleys version was a hundred times better.

Have just come back from Fright Nights and it was incredibly busy. We had to queue for a whole two-and-a-half hours for Experiment 10, and then headed straight to The Swarm and queued over 2 hours for that, so that by the time we came off The Swarm all the rides had shut. Even the fastpass queue for Experiment 10 was 45 minutes at one point, according to a staff member. We didn't check out the queues for any of the other mazes as we were worried about not getting a ride on The Swarm at all, but if they were as long as for Experiment 10 then it would have been impossible to do all the mazes without buying at least one fastpass, which just seems wrong. Perhaps the mazes should open earlier than 3pm in future?

I went tonight and it was heaving. 70 min queue at closing for swarm despite the rain. But then I went yesterday as well and there was no queue at closing. Walk on! I think it's just because its Saturday I'm afraid.
Wish I'd known you were going. I would have said hi.

Ah you were there tonight as well!! Damn, would have been cool to catch up had I known!

The Swarm was saying 75 mins when we joined the queue at about 7ish, but it ended up taking around 2 hours.