What's new

Wings3D, Help thread (NL)

Well, I've just downloaded this but I don't really understand any of the tutorials as I've never used anything like this before. Can someone just go over the basics of building shapes to create a very simple but realistic station and how to import it into NoLimits and vice versa? Thanks a lot in advance.

^One word: PRACTICE. It's gunna take a lot of it to even turn out something decent and worth putting into a released ride. It took me wel over 10 hours to figure out how to make a 3Ds station. I'm sure loefet and Ollie's times were similar.

Basically, to get your shape, you right click, then select whatever shape you want. You can then modify that shape from there. HINT HINT: Right click and move using the X, Y, an Z values- much easier this way.

I've got a bit more familiar now with how to modify the shapes and such, but how can I import my ride from NL into it so I know how long to make the station?

^You need the old scenery editor for NoLimits. You can then import your ride into that then save it as a 3Ds file. Then open it in Wings. :)

^No, you need The full version of Construction Kit. You have to then save it as a 3Ds model, then you can import into wings. Send me the track, i'll make it a 3Ds file for you.

^I said I can convert the file for you. I have the full version of CK.

The old terraformer was buggy, which is why they made a new one. Most wouldn't have noticed any bugs, but the NL guys were, uhh, well, bugged about it. I know this because of my friend. And please don't pull that crap on how I'm a hypocrite or anything.

^ You really only need the old terraformer to export a track to a simple 3ds object that you can use for guide when making a custom scenery. The new version have this feature removed, and the good thing about it is that it's completely free and still available (on for instance NLDC).

The CK can also as you say export a track into a 3ds object, but it creates a more elaborate object that can slow down you computer when having it in wings.

But Brookes if you need to know how long the station have to be, just click on the station segment and NL will tell you how long it is (works the best in metric though).

^Yep, metric units have to be turned on, or you can convert to metric using google..

And CK does make a track that slows Wings down quite a bit. My slow PC can still handle it though. I usually just delete the track I don't need, and keep what I do, then form 3Ds around that.

But Brookes if you need to know how long the station have to be, just click on the station segment and NL will tell you how long it is (works the best in metric though).

Thanks loefet! So I don't really need to import my track into Wings3D aslong as I know the measurements? And do you need the old terraformer to import 3Ds into NL?

Brookes said:
So I don't really need to import my track into Wings3D as long as I know the measurements?
Exactly, and if you did import it to Wings3D then you would only know how the layout is and not the length of for instance the station.
But if you are doing something more complex, with several interactions with the track, then importing a model of the track is the best thing to do to get it right without starting the simulator after each change.
Brookes said:
And do you need the old terraformer to import 3Ds into NL?
No, not at all, just for making a model of the track.
First export the object as a 3ds in Wings (File > Export > 3D Studio (.3ds)) into the object folder of NL (or any other sub-folder under it).
Then in NL go (Scenery > Choose scene object), and then pic your object and place it on the track. It's dead easy.

Thanks loefet that made it simple for me, now I understand. I'll start trying to build some things and see how I go on. Thanks again!

Hmm, loefet, you found any easy way to make a floorplan for coasters? I'm working on a mine type coaster, so it's majorly enclosed, and i'm needing a floorplan (yes I have a 3Ds track :) ).

^ Since I use metric for both NL and Wings then I just take measurements from NL to get all the 2D measurements, and then use "RMB menu > Absolute Commands > Move" to move the nodes/faces to the exact place where I want it.

But if you want a 2D track layout in Wings then, just flatten the track, to do that first select the whole track and then in "Node mode" use "RMB Menu > Flatten > y".

How would I go about making the tubes coming out of the cylinder the the left of the blades?
DSC_0044.JPG

Also how do I get rid of these green and blue bits that have suddenly appeared on some parts of the frame?
greenmesh.png

^The green lines mean that it has a low polygon count at that point. Or a high polygon count, idk which..

The blue bits are holes in the material, meaning they need textures.

To make the pipes, first make your cylinder in wings, then size properly, and place on there, then select the face showing out, then right click > extract > X/Y/Z. Then rotate the face to the proper angle to make it look flowing. Also, looking good Ollie.

The green edges is because they are that the hardness of them is set to hard instead of soft, Select the edges "RMB Menu > Hardness > Hard/Soft".

The blue faces is probably like Xpress said "holes" meaning that you see right through them in "reality".

About the tubes, the easy way is to do them separately, but you could it the sleek and harder way by extruding them right from the big tube.

Have a look at:
http://www.geocities.com/paulthepuzzles ... oints.html
http://www.geocities.com/paulthepuzzles ... rrect.html
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/More_pipe_joints

^Because the green and blue bits weren't there before. But I imported the blades from another file into the area file and they appeared and thought they had something to do with that.

And I'll have a go at the tubes when I get back from college today.

Thanks for that. The lines are still green but go away in 3D view which is ok, as long as they don't show up in then sim.
I've hit another problem *useless aren't I*. I've ended up using too many textures and the list that has all the textures on is too long so the ok button at the top has been pushed off the screen.
It won't let me drag the window down or round at all. Is there anyway to make it so it goes lengthways as well or a way to move the window about.

Here's a screenshot to see what I mean. You can also see how I've got on with the gas cylinder so far as well . :)
WingsProblem.jpg