What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown (Gestlauer?) World's 1st

Is the "worlds first" part the first ever vertical drop section on a gerstlauer coaster? :D

I found some footage of the area.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnJc_IgTVwU[/youtube]

Isn't the whole just for the station foundations or something?
From memory they made a huge hole for Th13teen (it was pretty deep there as well) which got everyone talking but then they just filled it in with concrete.

Ollie said:
Isn't the whole just for the station foundations or something?
From memory they made a huge hole for Th13teen (it was pretty deep there as well) which got everyone talking but then they just filled it in with concrete.

That's what I thought.

A huge amount of photos. But i'll post a few. Taken from the towerstimes site.

IMG_1406.jpg

IMG_1399.jpg

IMG_1398.jpg

IMG_1388.jpg

Link: http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/sw7/construction/

I'm starting to think that this world's first element may be something in the building that switches the two tracks. Since it's a dueling coaster, maybe you start out on one side of the track, but this element somehow puts you on the other side, and you finish there? Just a thought, but it could happen. With the DNA theme we've seen so far, this could have a sort of swapping DNA-type storyline going on or something like that.

The hole is much more bigger than I once thought it was.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYjQw4jiXsc[/youtube]

Video not recorded by me.

the king said:
The hole is much more bigger than I once thought it was.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYjQw4jiXsc[/youtube]

Video not recorded by me.

This pretty much sums up that the hole so far is nothing more than landscaping and preparation works.

Anyone have an idea when merlin will give details on this

Merlin? Details? Never. It's a secret weapon, no one will know what it is until it's leaked.

Yeah, it's always been the British approach to keep hush hush. It's odd really, when all the big American parks just release the entire layout and shout about exactly what it's going to do and what it'll look like etc.

Which is funny, because it's far easier to keep such a secret in the USA than it is here... Where planning applications are so easily accessible and a dense population of enthusiasts with only one major chain to gawk over.

Alton keep it quiet so they can let us down at a later date and not at the start :)

marc said:
Alton keep it quiet so they can let us down at a later date and not at the start :)

Agreed. The less hype, the better.

There are times where a ride can be built up only to be knocked back down because it didn't live up to expectations.

Even though UK Merlin pulled a rabbit out of the hat with Swarm, I've still remember Alton for the hash they made of Th13teen (the hype and the marketing, mainly). I'm dipping into construction of this coaster occasionally, albeit with less passion that I did with Swarm. Therefore when it opens, I won't be disappointed and it'll reignite my love for Alton Towers.

Much as I'd like to think they don't want to build expectations, presumably the main reason Alton haven't announced any details is that they're clearly struggling this year and would prefer people to come now rather than wait until next season when the new coaster opens?

Robbie said:
Much as I'd like to think they don't want to build expectations, presumably the main reason Alton haven't announced any details is that they're clearly struggling this year and would prefer people to come now rather than wait until next season when the new coaster opens?

I'd agree. Because I am planning to visit AT next year because of the coaster instead of this year. I'm sure I am not the only one. Especially since the price of visiting is expensive if you factor in travel costs, food costs on top of admin.
This way, people who aren't going to do what I am doing, will visit this year as well as next year.

If they will release details, they'll be after the park closes for this year.

Indeed, My parents and I were going to go this summer but I showed them the plan for sw7 on the computer and decided to go next year. Although this is kinda cool with it being kinda secrative and the general public have no idea what to expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.