What's new

Cedar Fair Announces Investment in Carowinds

Don't know how long it will be there, but this photo of Diamondback is currently on the Carowinds Thrill Rides website page (in place of the Grand Prix Raceway Go Karts photo). Is it a mistake or part of a viral promotion for the new coaster?

CarowindsGiga_zps3cc6830a.jpg

http://www.carowinds.com/things-to-do/thrill-rides

ECG said:
Don't know how long it will be there, but this photo of Diamondback is currently on the Carowinds Thrill Rides website page (in place of the Grand Prix Raceway Go Karts photo). Is it a mistake or part of a viral promotion for the new coaster?

CarowindsGiga_zps3cc6830a.jpg

http://www.carowinds.com/things-to-do/thrill-rides
Do you think that a giga like diamondback might replace the go karts? cuz we already know that the skyflyer is being removed at the end of 2014

Carowinds Closed Session Minutes on 2015 Project

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AmusementLeaks/status/456145254698070016[/tweet]

The meeting mentions the investment numbers announced a while ago into Carowinds by Cedar Fair. However it was not mentioned that Carowinds was in a deciding battle against Kings Dominion on which park would be representing Cedar Fair in the southeast. Cedar Fair is calling for an increase in attendance with the new expansion of about 385,000 people. Included with the new coaster will be a new eatery, a water slide complex, and a few other nooks and crannies including a revamped and expanded entrance to increase the parking capacity of the park.

According to the meeting notes it sounds like Carowinds could be getting a revamped main entrance plaza that plays in with their new coaster, and they mention that the ride will be 300 feet tall and have a similar riding style to a B&M Wing rider. They specifically pointed out that the ride would be between 310 and 315 feet tall and would be taller than Intimidator 305, again going off of an apparent competition between KD and Carowinds. I'm not sure whether to believe the numbers entirely or not because they described the experience similarly to what GateKeeper does, and even mention GateKeeper's height. They also mention the top speed will be 65 mph and that coasters are being built 470-490 feet tall lately, so their numbers aren't exactly accurate.

Moved to appropriate topic. - ECG

EDIT: Thanks for moving ECG

Last edited by bmac on Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:48 pm, edited 1 times in total.

So are we looking at a new type of train similar to Skyrush, or their Diamondback/Behemoth trains for this ride?

By the sounds of what they are talking about my first guess would be a coaster with trains similar to Skyrush, since its trains are 'winged' and fit a similar description to B&Ms Wing Coasters to people not very knowledgeable about roller coasters.

I've read through the entire thing now and although they are talking about a wing coaster, the entrance map/image they are looking at is Cedar Point's with Gatekeeper (wish we could see that map/image as well). While Carowinds are wanting to make their entrance similar to Cedar Point's, I don't think that they will have a 315 foot B&M wing rider going over it. I still think that they will build another B&M similar to Leviathan that will soar over the entrance. However, you never know. They clearly want to out-do Kings Dominion's I-305, so a 310-315 foot Intamin giga with Sky Rush style trains isn't out of the question. The main thing at this time is that the motion passed 9-2.
I also like they way the one councilwoman is only concerned about the city possibly being liable if anyone "goes flying off that and lands on the North Carolina side (of the park)." :lol:

Now that it's directly pointed out that their plans call for a totally redone entrance plaza these plans finally have some real merit to them. Footers and a Tunnel included!

7XM5rl3.jpg

from Carowinds Connection

http://www.ldiline.com/showpdf.cfm?proj ... df&dir=CIV

8aamv.jpg

Work is also being done next to Intimidator.

EDIT: That building apparently will be Carowinds' new eatery and performance location. Think something like Das Festhaus at BGW.

Anxious to hear all about 2015 at Carowinds! Since we have not gone to Carowinds just yet, we are anxious to go this year and then compare for next year! I sometimes wonder if Cedar Fair is ready to build an out-and-back coaster that is actually taller than MF. And, if it is a giga, can we get something in the 350 ft range? I get tired of seeing most hypers between 200 and 230 and most gigas between 300 and 315! Let's step it up ;-)

I recall that the council members were told that there was a debate over whether or not the investment would go to Carowinds or KD... but, is there any idea what was considered for KD if it was the place? Also, many thought that Carowinds was going to get the investment even without the tax concessions. It appears that they are really hoping to grow Carowinds into the CP of the south... and that makes us wonder how SFOG will counter the giga, especially with the height restrictions due to a nearby airport.

coaster addict said:
I recall that the council members were told that there was a debate over whether or not the investment would go to Carowinds or KD... but, is there any idea what was considered for KD if it was the place? Also, many thought that Carowinds was going to get the investment even without the tax concessions. It appears that they are really hoping to grow Carowinds into the CP of the south... and that makes us wonder how SFOG will counter the giga, especially with the height restrictions due to a nearby airport.

I'm not sure that Six Flags has to do anything in response to Carowinds. The parks are what, 4 hours away? I would wager 65-75% of both parks attendance comes from within the "local" market, 60-90 min drive.

The average family is not going to drive 4 hours from Douglasville, Marietta, or any of the other Atlanta suburbs to Carowinds when they have Six Flags 30 minutes away.

As a "coaster addict" you might decide to skip Over Georgia because Carowinds got a new ride, but the general public tends to break the theme parking decision down into two categories: Orlando or the "home park".

^ Agreed. Both parks are located in notably large cities/population densities, and I wouldn't think that the two park's market draw overlap that much.

Think of it as Geauga Lake and Kennywood (back in the day). The parks were 2 hours apart, but drew from completely different markets and were not in competition. Geauga Lake had the Cleveland draw (With Cedar Point drawing much of Cleveland as well), while Kennywood exclusively attracted Pittsburgh.

As to what will be built next for Carowinds, that's great to hear the park is looking to another major roller coaster, especially with a main entrance flyover. Such a neat feature to have at a park.

I agree with ^ and ^^

coaster addict said:
It appears that they are really hoping to grow Carowinds into the CP of the south... and that makes us wonder how SFOG will counter the giga, especially with the height restrictions due to a nearby airport.

Carowinds definitely doesn't compete with SFOG in my opinion. They are 4 Hours apart and no one other than the coaster enthusiast would drive to Carowinds from Atlanta, and vice versa. I go to Charlotte on a regular basis and I always forget that I should make time for Carowinds. (I live in Atlanta) If me, as a Coaster enthusiast forgets to make an extra day on travel for that park, I'm going to safely assume that most people in Georgia don't even know that Carowinds even exists.

However, with that said I hope they do kind of make Carowinds a CP of the South. I would definitely make the drive if they had another solid coaster such as a Giga and would probably visit it more often.

We thought that too, but we heard the numbers from SFOG. We were shocked that they reach an audience much larger than we expected. I'd have to find the article, but it was talking about the distances many guests traveled and the number of guests that traveled much more than an hour or two to get here. Of course, if Jazzland opens up at some point and has a good showing, that could be a moot point. Certainly, we probably do not have a lot of people driving past Carowinds just to go to SFOG and vice versa; people traveling to Atlanta who are looking for fun things to do will certainly consider SFOG. Similarly, people traveling to Charlotte might want to ride a roller coaster, and Carowinds will be there. However, if Carowinds becomes the CP of the south, it will continue to get better rides and make great strides, and that will overshadow SFOG. So, while they are not in direct competition as neighboring parks, they both have to perform and improve over time to keep customers coming!

A friend of mine (who once worked at SFOG years and years ago) heard that much of the expansion and improvements in the coming years (at SFOG) will be at Hurricane Harbor, so I'm guessing no new coaster until 2016, and that is unfortunate if such is the case!!!

Still, Even if the giga rumors are true it can't be taller than Milf. Nothing in the CF parks giga's can be taller than Milf! :roll:

Youngster Joey said:
Still, Even if the giga rumors are true it can't be taller than Milf. Nothing in the CF parks giga's can be taller than Milf! :roll:

I agree... now, I wish that MF was about 20 or 30 feet taller. Of course, I'd love a giga around 350 feet or a 500 ft out and back (at CP), but I'll take something 304 feet tall... or 309 feet tall!

Now, prior to Leviathan, I would pull out my list of "essential amusement park roller coasters." That is, every major amusement park in the world has a basic roller coaster roster that must be filled. e.g. 200 ft. steel coaster, wooden coaster, mine train coaster, inverted, etc.

However, Canada's Wonderland proved that if there is anything to follow a 200 ft. steel coaster with, it is a 300 ft. steel coaster.

Who knows, maybe Carowinds gets a giga. Maybe it doesn't. My personal hope? A straight up Gatekeeper copy. Cedar Fair already has a history of sticking with large roller coasters that work (Raptor and subsequent inverts, Diamondback and subsequent B&M hypers, etc.) - could Gatekeeper be the tip of the iceberg of a wave of new Cedar Fair wing riders?

coaster addict said:
Youngster Joey said:

I agree... now, I wish that MF was about 20 or 30 feet taller. Of course, I'd love a giga around 350 feet or a 500 ft out and back (at CP), but I'll take something 304 feet tall... or 309 feet tall!
307 or 8 feet! Thats my bet for the height! And can any of us really see B&M going with Skyrush style seating? Not when their train configuration is so much better, in terms of comfiness. Though if they did make their own version of a wing coaster type train similar to skyrush's, then that'd be pretty sweet. I just doubt it will happen.