What's new

Cedar Point | "GateKeeper" | B&M Wingrider

Let me rephrase

So-far the most visually appealing winged coaster, next to Skyrush. Wild Eagle & X-flight are nice,however, Swarm & Raptor aren't the prettiest. The coasters themselves are fugly, not the scenery involved. Black is just "blah".

^ Skyrush isn't a winged coaster, it's a Wing Rider. They made by different companies and look completely different to these wing coasters.

Yep, Intamin is now officially calling Skyrush their Wing Coaster....back on topic though with PICTURES! Heavily, fog laden pictures, but pictures NONE THE LESS!

Here is what beyond the gate looks like up close:

081bu.jpg

The footers close to Blue Streak are pretty close. I'd say they rest about 200ft away somewhat.

082dt.jpg

And just to give an idea of how freaking foggy it was:

164wd.jpg

Standing directly beneath Windseeker

052rh.jpg

In the parking lot of the Bay Harbor dining place. The odd line you vaguely see coming up at an angle in the center of the photo is Gaterkeepers lift hill.

Edit: Whoops, forgot to mention these photos were only possible by the GOCC Holiday Party

For those who are anal about terminology, this is a B&M wing coaster. Furious Baco is an Intamin wing rider. Skyrush is an Intamin wing coaster. This and Baco are the identical products - the only thing that separates an Intamin wing coaster from every other regular sitdown (aside from B&M) is that it has four across seating.

Antinos said:
For those who are anal about terminology, this is a B&M wing coaster. Furious Baco is an Intamin wing rider. Skyrush is an Intamin wing coaster. This and Baco are the identical products
Not quite identical. Baco is really ****.

Hixee said:
Antinos said:
For those who are anal about terminology, this is a B&M wing coaster. Furious Baco is an Intamin wing rider. Skyrush is an Intamin wing coaster. This and Baco are the identical products
Not quite identical. Baco is really ****.

And Baco has the seating above the track level, while the B&M Wing Riders have the seating by the side of the track.

Intricks said:
052rh.jpg

In the parking lot of the Bay Harbor dining place. The odd line you vaguely see coming up at an angle in the center of the photo is Gaterkeepers lift hill.

That's Raptor...

Correction: That's INCREDIBLY vague, but I see what you mean.

Re: Cedar Point | "Gatekeeper" | B&M Wingrider

No, the very vague line in the trees is Gatekeepers lift. My car is towards the right of the photo and I could get a faintly showing dive start between those trees.

That pic is more infront of the building where the group is at.

Is there really a need for a single-columned support right after the main one? What happened to Mother Necessity?

I'm fairly sure it is a necessity, can't see why else it would be there. Probably takes some of the strain off the two supports either side of it, especially as that seems like a bit of a stress poin where the track will flex

Re: Cedar Point | "Gatekeeper" | B&M Wingrider

That's just so awesome..

It's just like the good old days, an American park will just build the biggest version possible of a coaster and make all the others look small :lol:

Re: Cedar Point |

BBH said:
Is there really a need for a single-columned support right after the main one? What happened to Mother Necessity?
Yes, it will be necessary, they wouldn't waste that much metal if it wasn't necessary.

spicy said:
That's just so awesome..

It's just like the good old days, an American park will just build the biggest version possible of a coaster and make all the others look small :lol:
Not to mention it being Cedar Point. Home of the "My cock is bigger than yours" mentality.

Re: Cedar Point |

Lofty said:
BBH said:
Yes, it will be necessary, they wouldn't waste that much metal if it wasn't necessary.
Absolutely. Supports aren't put in 'just-in-case' as they're pretty expensive. This one will be necessary. Smithy's probably roughly right:
Smithy said:
I'm fairly sure it is a necessity, can't see why else it would be there. Probably takes some of the strain off the two supports either side of it, especially as that seems like a bit of a stress poin where the track will flex
With one thing to add. This is going to be the point where the whole weight of the train begins to force into the pull-out. Above that there's significant hangtime as the train accelerates, but where that single support is is just about where the full force of the pull-out starts to kick in. It's absolutely needed, that we can be sure of.