What's new

iSpeed, Intamin LSM coaster for Mirabilandia in 2009

The fins are installed.

Click on the update link I previously posted and go to the second picture, they have a pretty detailed picture.

Well they could be there like all trims are.. to regulate something post trim. The simplest explanation is usually the right one.. ;)

Oo no.. I completely understand. I guess they were fine with the design that they created but decided to throw those puppies in there.. or maybe the park wanted to go slower through the element then they had originally designed?

Ask Intamin.. :p

Redesigning a layout to not use trims eliminates more intense elements.

Maybe parks (and Intamin) find the use of trims a fair trade off for more interesting elements?

I'm with Hyde on this. Trims mean you can have interesting elements as well as a faster launch. FvN does much the same at the end, I think. Added bonus there, though, rather than this sort of thing. Faster launches = more exciting than without trims?

It looks like my new background, too. Really really stunningly gorgeous. Love the angular supports too.

I agree with UC. Kanonen is trashed by the trims before the Top hat. It doesn't even have a fast launch and it launches into trims - which really sucks.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating though...

^ The ones on Kanonen are after the top hat. But it still feels like it's launched into brakes in the way it slows down before even getting to the top-hat.

And UC, if they were to redesign because of the trims, then they would have completely redesigned the whole track because of the trims of the hill after the top-hat. But who knows after they start to test the ride they might decide to remove some of them, just like on Kanonen.

UC said:
You guys totally miss the point when I say "re-design the ride."

Why not just make the immelman slightly bigger?

Seriously, it's stupid and pointless to design trims in to rides like these. I can't believe you're actually advocating it.
Yet you are missing my point.

To eliminate the trims on Maverick you would need to figure out a way to either slow the train down and/or create an element that produces less force on the trains.

In both instances, an element is going to be watered down.

Trims have been designed into dozens of rides across all of the major manufacturers.

If it's so dumb, why are they so widely used?

I read somehere (probably parksmania.it), that they will decide on the trims after the first tests. They said the trims were there just in case, becouse it is cheaper to just have the trims installed from the beginning, than it would be if they had to replace the trackpieces.
Also, someone said that the fins are able to retrieve (not sure which section, tho...) back into the track...

Also, is it just me, or does that bump thingy between the corkscrew and the so called Italian loop look extremely missbanked?

UC said:
Uh, you would just make the turn a bit wider, or accomidate for the speed in the first place.
Exactly, a wider turn creates a less intense element, and Intamin already accommodates for the speed through the use of trims.

Trims offer the same solution to excess speeds and forces as redesigned elements.

Using trims allows for a smaller footprint as well, as drawing out an element means more space.

Trims are also a money saver, as they reduce wear on the trains, meaning less replaced parts over time.

This is to say, the use of trims offsets the price of replacement parts, meaning parks come out ahead in the end.

The reason for the trims on Maverick is because Cedar Point wanted it to achieve a top speed of 70 miles an hour. I don't know who was wacking it to that number, or why that speed is so significant to create a successful launch, but it is what it is, and like Ultimate Coaster said, it seems a bit unnecessary.

If you also noticed on Ispeed, the hill after the top hat got the Kingda Ka treatment with permi trims at the crest of it.

Let's look at the trimmed portion of Maverick.

Maverick%20Turn.png

You talk of extending the turn Steve, but where is the room for the extension?

This portion of Maverick sits feet away from the nearby pathway and Thunder Canyon queue, and Intamin needed some way to reduce the g forces to an acceptable level in the S Bend (image was taken when the Barrel Roll was still in place).

In order to reduce gravitational forces, you either widen a turn, as you point out Steve, or you slow your speed.

With no room to widen Maverick's turn, Intamin went with the later option and slowed Maverick turn to reduce the g forces in the S Bend.

Changing our sights to iSpeed, the trimmed portion of iSpeed leads to a similarly tight S bend and turn.

iSpeed%20Turn.png

In the same case as Maverick, Intamin needed to reduce gravitational forces during the s bend and turn, yet couldn't extend the turn due to the nearby monorail.

So, rather than extending the turn, Intamin installed trims.

Hmmm, seems like a pattern, doesn't it?

In order to reduce gravitational forces, a coaster will either be designed with wider elements or be installed with brakes; both offer the same solution of lowering gravitational forces during an element.

When there is no room to widen an element, trims are installed.

^But, on maverick, they could just slow down the launch...
That seems more logical...

As Mike T said last page, Cedar Point wanted the 70 mph launch, hence the trims.

I would put money down that Intamin originally suggested a slower launch speed, but Cedar Point pushed for the 70 mph for statistical bragging rights.

^Well it certainly shows a lot about the park where they feel the need to only create rides that are statistically impressive, rather than just creating flat-out fun rides. Maverick, a ride designed as a family coaster, features 95 degree drops, 70 mph launches, a roll that would of been taken at mach 7, etc etc. It's becoming a point where if Cedar Point doesn't include some sort of impressive tote to the ride that they just won't bother. I'm not saying thats a bad thing at all, but they've put themselves in a position where people come to expect it, and if their next ride isn't the biggest and baddest in the world, their clients are going to be shouting "Thats it?".