What's new

"Now Showing"

Framed Serenity quad (movie poster like they had in the cinema) above my fireplace!

(for the record the other* framed quads -all originals - in my lounge are LotR 3, StarWars3 (Sith not Jedi), Clockwork Orange (1999 resissue not '71 original :-( ), HHGTG, A.I. and my favorite Rollercoaster from the 70s - * did some work for CarltonScreen back in 99-00 and then 2003/4, some came from there, others from ebay - actually thinking about it only the LotR/C.Orange came thru work, must have dumped the others that I got from work - I put them up all around the office </geek> )

No Surrender- 6/10

I don't understand why this has a 3/10 on IMDB. Okay, so it wasn't anything to write home about and I'll probably forget about it in like, a week, but it wasn't that bad. The acting was questionable at times and the themes were a little "out there", but it just seemed sort of like an average thriller/suspense film with a decent twist to me. Mena Suvari is usually pretty good, but I didn't really think she was that great in this role.

The Woman in Black-7/10

I wanted to watch a horror film last night so I randomly chose this one, not expecting too much, but it was actually pretty creepy. I didn't think it was just "Daniel Radcliffe meandering around the whole time looking pretty," even though that did take up a good portion of the movie. There were a few decent scares that weren't just cheap thrills, and I don't think the storyline was that bad. I also really liked the setting as far as the time period and the village goes; it really added to the creepy aura of the whole thing. As far as the ending, well, I wasn't sure if I liked it or not but I kind of enjoyed how it wasn't just a stereotypical happy ending.

So I've seen a few films recently. Last week I saw Rock of Ages

It was alright, I love the casting for it (well apart from the main two, they can go away). I love most of the songs but it's like they took out the soul of some of them, was a tad awful like that. The whole thing felt like it should have been on a stage and live and obviously it wasn't so it lost mega points for that. Kinda put me off seeing it on stage too, how poo of them.

Rating: 2/5

Then I attempted to catch up yesterday, I started off with 5 year engagement

Which was ok, lots of very moments, lots of very awkward moments and lots of very soppy rom-com typicalness. So overall it was pretty good, helped that it had Emily Blunt and Rhys Ifans (he needs to be in more).

Rating: 3/5

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter in 3D

I was really impressed with this film. To be honest it's from one of my favourite directors, if I didn't like the style of his other films I would have loathed this, however I think his style of direction is pretty cool and in 3D it's actually amazing (that bridge scene <3 ). The cast were pretty awesome too and the guy playing Lincoln really looked like him by the end of the film, some epic casting and make up going on there. Overall I really enjoyed it and really recommend it.

Rating: 4/5

Then I ended the day with Prometheus in 3D

I haven't read anyone else's reviews, I wanted to stay clear of all that, I'd seen too many people condemning it on Facebook already. The 3D was nicely done if a bit minimal at times. It was pretty much what I was expecting to be honest but maybe that was because I'd seen 90% of the film via trailers already. I thought there were some great moments in there and certainly a few surprises. The ending was a bit naff though, bit of a meh way to end it. Overall it was ok though, some very nice special effects but there was one scene with epic issues. There's a scene where Fassbender is just talking to a wall and it's totally out of sync, kinda had the work me flipping out about it, so distracting.

Rating: 3/5

^How you liked the casting of Rock of Ages is beyond me. The girl is a country singer, not rock. Her voice was absolutely awful for the style, same with the guy. They are not rock, and the songs they sang were supposed to have the gravely voice, like the actual singers are. The leas singers were not well chosen for the style. My two cents, but yeah.

Ted

This was absolutely amazing, but even more offensive. If you don't like movies that will offend you, just stay away. From the first joke to the last, it is hilarious. It has the family guy sense of humor. Takes stabs at pop culture, it just is hilarious. One of the funniest movies I have seen all year.

9/10

^Lol, if you actually read my post you'd see I agree with you. I said they were good apart from the main two :p I didn't realise she was a country singer though, meh.

Looking forward to seeing Ted, I'm not sure when it's released here though.

^^Sorry, misread it. Yeah, apparently she is a country singer and a professional dancer. She was one of the dancers for a few years on Dancing with the Stars apparently. Not so horrible to look at, but still didn't have the right voice.

Russell Brand and Alec Baldwin were pretty hilarious though. <3

Saw Rock of Ages last night, and really enjoyed it! I agree with John that they kind of made some of the songs quite soulless, but Stacee Jaxx is just such an amazingly fantastic character that he kind of makes up for it!

Brave

6.5/10

While visually stunning and absolutely gorgeous the story was just ok. Had it's funny moments but it was overall bland. The kicker being it's the Darkest Pixar movie I've ever seen. The little kids sitting around me were crying a lot from being scared.

Overall I'd say it's mid low tier pixar

Better than both cars, a bug's life, and ratatouille, but that's it in my opinion.

nadroJ said:
Saw Rock of Ages last night, and really enjoyed it! I agree with John that they kind of made some of the songs quite soulless, but Stacee Jaxx is just such an amazingly fantastic character that he kind of makes up for it!

No.

Rock of Ages was terrible. Tom Cruise was terrible. The two leads were terrible. It was all terrible.

And I love all musicals ever.

I also saw Friends With Kids. It wasn't at all funny.

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter was more enjoyable than I thought it was going to be. Pretty good actually.

Fast Girls was fab.

Lay The Favourite was OK.

Can't remember what else I've seen lately.

I watched 20th Century Boys Part 1 the other day. Having read the original source material and **** I have to say this adaptation really threw me off. It moves way too fast and the changes make it really confusing... It was alright to be honest.

Re: "Now Showing"

When I saw watchman after really enjoying the comic it really threw me off with all the changes too.

Movies tend to do that

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

The Amazing Spider-man (IMAX 3D)

Since this is the summer of the comic book movies, I figured I would see how this one compared to the Avengers, and would hope it would hold me over until the Dark Knight Rises. It held me over and then some. Compared to the Toby spidey, this is just so much better, but it still has it's flaws. The 3d was fantastic though. I love seeing a movie shot in 3D, because it just shows how **** the post conversion truly is. Before the movie, I thought it looked corny, lame, and just meh. The 3d really helped, especially in the final battle. Emma Stone <3 was just perfect as Gwen. I hated seeing her as a blonde at first, but then I got over it.

For a reboot of a movie not that far removed, they did a great job wiping the slate clean, but there were a lot of loose ends that I wish were resolved in this one, not the 2014 sequel. There is a credit scene, so if you see it, wait, but be warned it won't be anything obvious like in the Avengers, it will bring up more questions.

TL,DR: It is better than the Rami Spiderman's, but doesn't come close to the Avengers, and tries to be too Batman Begins, but not dark enough to pull it off. Garfield and Stone are cast perfectly.

7/10

Semi on topic rant: I think what upsets me most about this movie is the fact that Sony still has the rights to Spiderman. They did a **** thing rebooting it to keep the rights, but I'm glad it just wasn't a sequel. I wish that Disney/Marvel would have bought the rights back from Sony and combined Spidey with Avengers, same universe, but not necessarily the same movies just yet. Just the thought of more Sony Spiderman being thrown at us is upsetting, especially if we get another Spiderman 3 with too many villains, and too much **** acting.

Ted: 9/10
This movie was really funny pretty much the whole way through! (While managing to sneak in a sad part as well.) A lot of the humor is a little before my generation, so if you grew up in 70s & 80s, you may enjoy the movie even more! Definitely worth seeing if you need a laugh, and you can get over the talking bear faster then you'd think.

I really liked Spiderman, loads better than the others (except maybe 2 which is great).

Plus, he's so much hotter in this one.

Also saw Killer Joe. That was weird. It did have Villain at Geauga Lake randomly in it though <3

Spiderman wasn't amazing, but just good... Not great, not awful, just standard good...

Rhys Ifans needs to be in more films though... Lots of lines in the trailer weren't in the actual film, but I would like it if Marvel got the rights back...

So on the level of previous Spidey films, it's around Spiderman 2, and better than the first one...

House of 1000 Corpses- 7/10

Talk about a weird movie, haha. I don't even know if I liked it, it was just so weird and completely different to most horror movies that I was really entertained. Some of the scenes were pretty wild, like the one where they go out in the rabbit costumes and stuff (kinda freaked me out), and I think the characters were pretty well done, at least as far as the "bad guys" go.

I did watch the Devil's Rejects also, but it ended up stopping about twenty minutes before the end and I never bothered to finish it. It didn't seem that good anyway though, I felt like it was a bit more standard than House of 1000 Corpses.

EDIT- Just watched the last little bit of Devil's Rejects, and I changed my mind. It was pretty good, but still didn't have the aura like the first film did. 6.5/10.

Rob Zombie FTW :)

I enjoyed House of 1000 corpses in a "silly, glorified, over the top poop" kind of way. I'm in no rush to watch it again though.

I love the colours in House of 1000 Corpses. Like, the whole film feels like you're on a crappy carnival ghost train, I love it <3

And Dr. Satan scares the **** out of me.

^ I cannot agree more. I genuinely think it's a fantastic movie.

Rejects_DrSatan_1.gif

I HATE HIM <//3