What's new

Scw55's Thread. Planet Coaster Calls (18-11-17)

Re: Scw55's Share Thread; Request for help

Oh, yeah. Great coaster to use for reference, by the way, the turnaround is something I try to use as a model.

Re: Scw55's Share Thread; Request for help

I like the figure 8 thing and the pacing.
Doesn't go on for too long and mixes up the constant "upy downy air time hill" bits.

Rest assured the Duelling Wingriders have convincing break run.

Re: Scw55's Share Thread; Internal Conflict

My Duelling Wingrider

How did I do it? How do you build two Wingriders adjacent to each other's station so they're syncronised when departing trains? Answer is that you don't.

Mind blown?

Let me explain how I did it.

Firstly I started with two stations for Wingriders with a tile apart. So it looks like 0|0|0.
I found it helpful colour coordinating the other track and its trains so I could tell the difference when building.
Build your layout.
Then you have two choices:
1) Keep it like that, two separate Wingriders that aren't synchronised at all, and you have to manually start running them separately.
2) Deliberately cause one coaster to 'crash' into the oposing station. Then assimilate the previous layout with the other layout. I.E. use the other layout as a 'guide' or 'tracer'. Eventually you'll have one Roller Coaster Layout with two parallel stations that duels with itself. I strongly don't recommend using Block-Mode as you cannot control where the trains start. I.E. impossible to allow self-duelling.
Only flaw with this option is that if one route is a smidgen too fast, the difference in time will slowly be more apparent over-time. Means you'll have to periodically reset the Coaster. Much less than if you had two separate Coasters.

Right. The story I have in mind. I am going to play off the fact this Coaster technically is self-duelling. I am going to create a story that this Coaster is a sentient life-form found on the planet. It posses two brains and two personalities. As a result it is in eternal conflict with itself. The internal conflict has boiled onto surface and into the real world. As you can see there have been attempts to 'restrain' this creature. But it has been tedious thus far. Not all attempts have succeeded.

This isn't the final scenery. Tonight I outlined the 'footprint' of the Coaster and built some structures.
The blue supports symbolise the creature, a different shade for a different route. The bronze supports symbolise the attempts to restrain the creature.

The creature itself is very odd. The majority of it lives under-ground. Its colour is that of the rock it lives amongst, but it posses strange 'filaments' that is used to anchor itself that is also Bio-Illuminescent. The light attracts prey. On the surface you can see strange fleshy ribbons. Along these strange 'claw-like' biological structures travel. Their job is to catch prey and to carry it to a mouth. Another purpose is to battle against the "enemy claw". Recently, the creature has been using these in self-defence against restraint.

Lets get to the screenshots.

hfkho.jpg

Station

tYir0.jpg

Lift-hill with teaser of my B&M Mega

S79rn.jpg

Top of the lift-hill

5TlGA.jpg

First drop. I'm not sure why there is a slight disruption with the synchronisation. Is this a result of a double station?

YGOXB.jpg

First interaction

NDxIm.jpg

Converging into the SW7 Interlocking Bat-wing & Cobra Roll element. Note the strategically placed broken glass

hB4DN.jpg

Interior shot of the two Coasters duelling. On the PoV it's quite intimidating seeing the other train coil around yours

84YRt.jpg

Using Glass

yuMzX.jpg

One curves round a tower

AlGQc.jpg

Whilst the other curves round theirs in a glass containment

mE2iI.jpg

Vertical Loop Duelling Element. The appearance of this element to the rider and from the on-looker is of drama. It appears both trains collide and then rise upwards and peel away. They regain their posture and charge past each other. Ripping off the Duelling Dragons

qnJUT.jpg

Recoiling

9Tk4v.jpg

One braves the depths

enU1y.jpg

The other prefers circling another tower

g5xGi.jpg

Return fromthe depths

n0dVk.jpg

'That' element over the station

e1xG4.jpg

Into the break run. See *almost* perfect synchronisation

My plan now is to fill a lot of the empty space in the fence area with rocks and stuff. I hope you enjoyed what I did.
No Clipping.
Sadly I had to cut inter-locking corkscrews.
The Cobra-roll has a straight bit of track between the corkscrew and half-loop to avoid clipping. In reality you can customise the dimensions more of track. As a result it may not be realistic in real-life, but the problem is easily avoided in real-life. As a result it counter balances.

What great synchronization! However, although its a mobius loop, could each track be more clearly defined and distinguished from the other? Paint the stations black or feature a tunnel to achieve this.

Anyway, awesome coaster(s), its just a shame that the interlocking corkscrews never became a reality. :cry:

I'll do that. I didn't paint the track as I was unsure of what 'theme' to go for. It slipped my mind. Thank you.

You can interlock two Large Corkscrews, but it doesn't look good.

It looks really beautiful with normal corkscrews, but clipping is a major safety issue.
I was going to do some more work tonight, but I got distracted by Torchlight 2. Good job I didn't, because it could have made implementing your suggestion difficult.

Interlocking corkscrews... you may have to show me how to dougie on that one.

BBH said:

Sorry I don't understand what you're asking? Possible to rephrase that?

And also I have an awesome idea of how to colour the track.

scw55 said:
BBH said:

Sorry I don't understand what you're asking? Possible to rephrase that?

And also I have an awesome idea of how to colour the track.
Teach me how to make interlocking corkscrews... :lol:

Well, the Corkscrew element has an L shaped 'footprint'. This means, with a complete corkscrew, you have 2 titles between each 'ground' track section. The Large Corkscrew has a larger footprint this a larger gap in which things can be in between. The loose-corkscrew only has space for 1 track.

You basically have a corkscrew inside a corkscrew. So it looks like a Double Helix.

TP2.jpg
(NOT MY IMAGE)

In Duelling Coasters you can have the trains running parallel into the interlocking corkscrew.
Or, what is more impressive and visually exciting is having them going from opposite directions. Think of it as:
duelingdragons.jpg
but with a corkscrew element.

Two trains about to 'collide' who then twist over each other to avoid collision.

I hope that's what you asked. In less you were talking about the Cobra-inside-a-Bat-Wing.

Thanks, that's exactly what I meant!

Now off to B&M all of my coasters to Oblivion! (No pun intended)

^It seems pun was very intended haha :p

As for the wing coasters...they look pretty good so far. Tough to judge the interaction until we can see some video footage though. I like most of the elements you have going and the fact that they aren't just mirrored, they have unique paths featuring unique ride experiences. Unfortunately, and this is hardly related to your skill or artistic vision, but I think that scenery set (the in-game sci-fi one) is pretty horrid. I've never really liked the color scheme and the forced repetition is disgusting in my opinion. And don't even get me started on how in-game scenery impedes clean-looking, congruous structure work as displayed well by this picture:

NDxIm.jpg

That said, the elements are innovative and fun and the supportwork is...tolerable (getting better). Might want to fix that little drop before the station in your second to last picture. I see how it is difficult to deal with but that just looks painful and awkward. Great concept though! Keep it up! :)

Re: Scw55's Share Thread; A Scenery Reborn (and future ideas

So, I downloaded a new Scenery pack... And redone the building work around my Duelling Wingrider. I tore down buildings that I had built and not shown you. So spare a tear for the forgotten abominations.

In construction I realised why many advanced Coaster Builders don't do much terrain work. They like geometric and flat land. Why? Because with this sophisticated building sets, the pieces are heavily sensitive to the elevation of the land. Unlike vanilla pieces where they lock onto ridged heights. As a result, if you want a flat roof, the earth underneath also has to be flat. As a result, due to my stubbornness, I have used some vanilla roof pieces to make my job easier. I could have levelled the ground, but I didn't want to re-do the support work. It's something I will have to bare in mind for the future.

Colossus I hope you appreciate the amount of grey.

2012-12-02_00001.jpg

Lift Hill

2012-12-02_00002.jpg

Rockery

2012-12-02_00003.jpg

2012-12-02_00004.jpg

2012-12-02_00005.jpg

2012-12-02_00006.jpg

Close-up of the duelling element

2012-12-02_00007.jpg

2012-12-02_00008.jpg

2012-12-02_00009.jpg

2012-12-02_00010.jpg

2012-12-02_00011.jpg

2012-12-02_00012.jpg

2012-12-02_00013.jpg

I love the 1/2 wall sections. Make building around Wingriders exciting.

2012-12-02_00014.jpg

CAUTION Radioactivity

2012-12-02_00015.jpg

2012-12-02_00016.jpg

I want to keep that tyvm.

2012-12-02_00018.jpg

2012-12-02_00019.jpg

Rocks improve anything.

2012-12-02_00020.jpg

2012-12-02_00021.jpg

I love those hanger-like openings.

2012-12-02_00022.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As a bonus. Ideas for the future. These are more ideas around that Cobrat Rolling.

2012-12-02_00023.jpg

Idea for a narrow layout.

2012-12-02_00024.jpg

2012-12-02_00025.jpg

Another take on the element. This time one half is rotated 180 degrees.

I hope you enjoy my overwhelming screenshots.
I'll do a PoV when I've resolved... a small amount of clipping issues that arose...

Everything looks so much better now. The diversity of scenery, the uniqueness of buildings. The glass box looks great now and supportwork is better. Huge improvement. Small nit-pick now, try to expand the scenery beyond the ride, at least some light rockery and plants etc because it looks like the story just ends right at the boundary of the ride. And I don't think that's the impression you are trying to create. Btw, what's that sci-fi set? Love it!

The reason why it ends abruptly is because I build my park modularly. The plan is that, I will build another 'module' which corresponds to the ride, and I will fill in the gaps. Think of it as a "to be continued". Basically I don't want to go to the effort of integrating the plot into the rest of the vacant park, to only replace my work later. Perhaps I expand the tiles/rocks, I later might decide to build a sheer cliff. I would have to delete pieces, or 'roll with it' and pretend a calamity happened... This way the canvas is left clean and I don't have risk doing pointless work. If the coaster was a stand-alone project, then I'd understand. But this coaster is going to be part of a whole park eventually.

Pretend that it's "Fog of War" outside of the boundaries.

You've seen my previous projects. You know I can seamlessly combine 'modules'.

And the Custom scenery used is entirely "Sci-Fi Works V2". There's V1 which I have, but the pieces look to gritty for my likes. I am conforming to 'realism', but I still want a "fantastical" angle to what I create. Be warned though, it does overwhelm you with pieces. However after a few scrolls through the list you get a gist of the layout. It can be hard to identify a specific floor tile due to how small the icons are.

I also have a set called "Space Port" which I might utilise for a super secrete ride which I haven't shown yet. The only hint is that this Coaster type often is 1/3 inside a building.

I have used some of the default scenery for practical reasons.
I have used some also because I personally like it. I think it melds well with the rocky landscape. But I could understand what you meant that it was hideous. Perhaps we might mutually dislike over industrialisation.

I've also learnt that I don't need to go OTT with buildings. I destroyed a whole wing that didn't really add anything other than moar tunnels lol. I also cleaned up some unneeded supports in the Complex Element glasshouse.

Oh, the glass roof is default scenery. Part of the Sci-Fi 'Greenhouse' set. Isn't it nice how seamlessly it fits in with this CS? That's why I like this set. It doesn't look out of place.

KABLAMMITYBLAMMITYBLAMMITYBLAMMITY!

/mindblow

^I'm happy to reach that standard. Thank you.

Re: Scw55's Share Thread; Terra-Volt; B&M Suspended Dive Coa

After a week of hell, I have managed to play RCT3 again. Spent 8 hours on this.

But first I shall teach you of the evolution of this plot of land.

First came the Eurofighter. In fact several whilst I got used to using them.
This was built a fortnight ago. However today I decided to destroy it. Complication with the land not being flat and general layout not-that-good.

I then tried building a Fly-Free CTR. It was meh. Not as a exciting as I had hoped. Lent itself better to a Dark-Ride experience.

Then I tried something else. A Suspended Dive Machine.
I was able to make use of more Spaceworks v2 and finally able to use Spaceport. What you see is a building-piece intense thing. A lot more careful terrain work was considered too.

2012-12-14_00001.jpg

Station.

2012-12-14_00002.jpg

First drop which is vertical. It plummets below ground-level. Sadly no holding breaks. Does mean trains can be longer because view obstruction of the drop isn't a worry. Supports for the drop is a mixture of two mods.

2012-12-14_00003.jpg

Pyramid of Power. Block Break section after the Half-loop -> Corkscrew -> Ascent.

2012-12-14_00004.jpg

Ruptured Batwing with dual feet-chopper.

2012-12-14_00005.jpg

Final inversion sequence.

2012-12-14_00006.jpg

Into the break run.

2012-12-14_00007.jpg

2012-12-14_00008.jpg

Plugging gaps with two flats. Going to intergrate the themeing between the two major coasters so there is a smoother transition. I also need to work out how I can expand my park to the West. Currently Terra-Volt blocks that direction. Terra-Volt might have to allow free-passage.

I plan to add more theming elements to Terra-Volt. I just feel burn-out from the whole tiling of the area.

The next Coaster I plan to build is another CTR. I plan to have fun with rocks.

Re: Scw55's Share Thread; Terra-Volt; B&M Suspended Dive Coa

Cool. I usually can get the holding brake to work with inverted coasters, but I guess not in this case. Regardless of what you can and can't do, it looks great, and I can't wait to see more.

I'm exactly the same way with how I build coasters. I'll screw around with a layout, make a decision on it, and more often than not delete it. Often what started as a Schwarzkopf looper will somehow turn into a GCI launched woodie.