What's new

The Games we play...

Ben said:
I hope Fahrenheit is better when I play that later...

First couple of hours are fantastic, then it gets a little silly...still an experience like little else though.

Eternal Darkness is about the only pseudo horror game that I could get away with from that generation of consoles; always found both Resi (4 excepted) and Silent Hill too fiddly and unnecessarily hammy.

Yeah, what I played of Fahrenheit last night was awesome. I played Heavy Rain over the summer and absolutley adored it, so I'm loving something similiar (well, Heavy Rain is similar to Fahrenheit not the other way round, but...)

Eternal Darkness is AWESOME. It's so much better than any of the Resi games (except 4). I just can't STAND fixed camera angle games with those ridiculous controls Resi and, apparently, Silent Hill, games have. It's so frustrating. I'll give it more of a chance, but, the controls...

Ben said:
Eternal Darkness is AWESOME. It's so much better than any of the Resi games (except 4).

Thing is I suppose they are different sorts of games; one is like a decent B movie, the other is like the best book I never read...

If anyone hasn't played Eternal Darkness, try to imagine a game that is basically one long version of the scarecrow levels from Arkham Asylum, and is at times genuinely unsettling to play - there simply isn't a better fourth wall game out there. And given you can pick it up for a couple of quid, and play it on the Wii, if you haven't played it...shame on you!

Ben said:
Yep, totally agree! No-one ever seems to have played it though :(

The bathtub... UGH, the bathtub... :(
I rather embarrassingly dropped my joypad in shock at that bit. The flies on the screen sanity and the no response controller effect threw me a couple of times too. I loved the way that you revisited locations throughout the ages. The cathedral was an act of genius.

The new Animus Project Update 1.0 free DLC for Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood is full of WIN!
So what are you waiting for? Get in!

The first of many video game of the year awards were handed out last night. Here are the winners:

GAME OF THE YEAR
Mass Effect 2 (beat Assassin's Creed:Brotherhood, Disney Epic Mickey, NBA 2K11, StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty & Red Dead Redemption)

MOST ORIGINAL GAME
Limbo (beat Heavy Rain)

BEST GAMEPLAY INNOVATION
Kinect (beat Heavy Rain & Rock Band Pro mode)

BEST MULTIPLAYER GAME
StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty (beat Halo Reach, COD:Black Ops & Assassin's Creed Brotherhood)

BEST ACTION/ADVENTURE GAME
Red Dead Redemption (beat Disney Epic Mickey, God of War III & Assassin's Creed:Brotherhood)

BEST MULTIPLAYER CO-OP
Halo: Reach (beat Dead Rising 2, COD:Black Ops, Rock Band 3 & Red Dead Redemption)

BEST SHOOTER
Call of Duty: Black Ops (beat Halo Reach, Battlefield:Bad Company 2, Medal of Honor & Bioshock 2)

BEST ART DIRECTION
Limbo (beat Disney Epic Mickey, Red Dead Redemption & God of War III)

BEST ANIMATION
NBA 2K11 (beat Disney Epic Mickey, God of War III & Bayonetta)

BEST WRITING
Mass Effect 2 (beat Alan Wake, Assassin's Creed:Brotherhood, Fallout:New Vegas & Red Dead Redemption)

BEST SOUNDTRACK
Disney Epic Mickey (beat Halo Reach, Mass Effect 2 & Red Dead Redemption)

BEST SOUND DESIGN
Limbo (beat Red Dead Redemption, Alan Wake, Battlefield:Bad Company 2 & StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty)

BEST DOWNLOADABLE GAME
Limbo (beat Deathspank & Pac-Man Championship Edition DX)

BEST DLC
Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare

BEST RACING GAME
Split Second (beat Need for Speed:Hot Pursuit, Blur & Grand Turismo 5)

BEST SPORTS GAME
NBA 2K11 (beat Madden NFL 11 & FIFA 11)

BEST STRATEGY GAME
StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

BEST ROLE-PLAYING GAME
Mass Effect 2 (beat Fallout:New Vegas & FF XIII)

BEST MUSIC / RHYTHM GAME
Rock Band 3

BEST FIGHTING GAME
Super Street Fighter IV

BEST HANDHELD GAME
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

http://g4tv.com/articles/73136/The-Best-Video-Games-of-2010---X-Plays-Best-Of-Awards-/

I agree with most, especially Limbo & Red Dead Redemption. Mass Effect 2 is really good, but I think RDR should have won game of the year. Too bad Rock Star didn't submit it to BAFTA for their awards.

I'm bored, so, here's what's wrong with all those awards.

East Coast(er) General said:
GAME OF THE YEAR
Mass Effect 2 (beat Assassin's Creed:Brotherhood, Disney Epic Mickey, NBA 2K11, StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty & Red Dead Redemption)

Red Dead Redemption should have taken this. Or maybe Heavy Rain <3

MOST ORIGINAL GAME
Limbo (beat Heavy Rain)

I'd say Heavy Rain, but it's just Fahrenheit... I've not played Limbo... HEAVY RAIN WAS AMAZING THOUGH.

BEST GAMEPLAY INNOVATION
Kinect (beat Heavy Rain & Rock Band Pro mode)

Nah, should have been Heavy Rain, not some silly camera.

BEST MULTIPLAYER GAME
StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty (beat Halo Reach, COD:Black Ops & Assassin's Creed Brotherhood)

Multiplayer can go die.

BEST ACTION/ADVENTURE GAME
Red Dead Redemption (beat Disney Epic Mickey, God of War III & Assassin's Creed:Brotherhood)

Yeah, that's right.

BEST MULTIPLAYER CO-OP
Halo: Reach (beat Dead Rising 2, COD:Black Ops, Rock Band 3 & Red Dead Redemption)

The Co-Op on RDR was amazing, that should have won because Halo SUCKS.

BEST SHOOTER
Call of Duty: Black Ops (beat Halo Reach, Battlefield:Bad Company 2, Medal of Honor & Bioshock 2)

They've all been dire this year. I'd say Bioshock 2 but that was awful.

BEST ART DIRECTION
Limbo (beat Disney Epic Mickey, Red Dead Redemption & God of War III)

Limbo did look gorgeous, so that's OK.

BEST ANIMATION
NBA 2K11 (beat Disney Epic Mickey, God of War III & Bayonetta)

Eh.

BEST WRITING
Mass Effect 2 (beat Alan Wake, Assassin's Creed:Brotherhood, Fallout:New Vegas & Red Dead Redemption)

Yeah, Alan Wake should have taken this, the writing in that was spectacular.

BEST SOUNDTRACK
Disney Epic Mickey (beat Halo Reach, Mass Effect 2 & Red Dead Redemption)

Nah, RDR.

BEST SOUND DESIGN
Limbo (beat Red Dead Redemption, Alan Wake, Battlefield:Bad Company 2 & StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty)

Again, the sound in RDR was AMAZING.

BEST DOWNLOADABLE GAME
Limbo (beat Deathspank & Pac-Man Championship Edition DX)

Oh THAT'S why I've not heard of Limbo, it's not a "real" game.

BEST DLC
Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare

<3

BEST RACING GAME
Split Second (beat Need for Speed:Hot Pursuit, Blur & Grand Turismo 5)

Yeah, that's really... No... GT5 or maybe F12010 <3

BEST SPORTS GAME
NBA 2K11 (beat Madden NFL 11 & FIFA 11)

Nah, go FIFA 11, that was great.

BEST STRATEGY GAME
StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Ugh, PC games.

BEST ROLE-PLAYING GAME
Mass Effect 2 (beat Fallout:New Vegas & FF XIII)

UGH, RPGs...

In fact, the other three can all have UGHS.

Ben said:
The Co-Op on RDR was amazing, that should have won because Halo SUCKS.

This. When I say that, I'm referring to both points, because EVERYTHING about RDR is just perfect and amazing, and Halo SUCKS. Just like everything else to do with XBox.

I refuse to see it as better since it's on XBox. I've already had this debate with one of my friends a million times! They happen to have both versions and I made it my vow to never watch the XBox version lol.

I just love Sony too much <3

VGA Results

Best Wii Game

- Super Mario Galaxy 2

Best Xbox 360 Game

- Mass Effect 2

Best PS3 Game

- God of War III

Best PC Game

- StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Best Handheld Game

- God of War: Ghost of Sparta

Best Shooter

- Call of Duty: Black Ops

Best Action-Adventure Game

- Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Best RPG

- Mass Effect 2

Best Multiplayer Game

- Halo: Reach

Best Individual Sports Game

- Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11

Best Team Sports Game

- NBA 2K11

Best Driving Game

- Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit

Best Music Game

- Rock Band 3

Best Soundtrack

- DJ Hero 2

Best Song in a Game

- Far Away by José González

Best Original Score

- Red Dead Redemption

Best Graphics

- God of War III

Best Adapted Video Game

- Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game

Best Performance by a Human Male

- Neil Patrick Harris as Peter Parker/Amazing Spider-Man

Best Performance by a Human Female

- Tricia Helfer as Sarah Kerrigan

Best Downloadable Game

- Costume Quest

Best DLC

- Red Dead Redemption - Undead Nightmare

Best Independent Game

- Limbo

Most Anticipated Game

- Portal 2

Game of the Year

- Red Dead Redemption

Ben said:
Limbo did look gorgeous, so that's OK...
Oh THAT'S why I've not heard of Limbo, it's not a "real" game.
Don't knock it because it's not a "real" game. Just download the demo & give it a go. Judging by your posts, I'm pretty sure you'll like it a lot & you'll probably want to play the full game.

So I've got a bit of coin to waste. Is the Playstation Move worth it or is it a glorified Wii?

Does it work better than Wii?

I want a 3DTV to play in 3D but sadly don't have that kind of coin to waste :(

Pierre said:
So I've got a bit of coin to waste. Is the Playstation Move worth it or is it a glorified Wii?

Does it work better than Wii?

It's a glorified Wii, but it DOES work.

However... Games are limited. I got mine with Sports Champions which has two of my favourite "lite" games ever - Gladiator Arena and Archery.

They're brilliant, but not worth the cost of the entire kit. Time Crisis is good too, as is "The Shoot", but again, they're "lite" games. They work well, but nothing great.

Minor_Furie played MAG with it, but he's left handed, so he needed the navigation controller (you use the dual shock, but you can't map it for left handers). He reckons that it's worth investing the £20 extra though for it, as it does make the game better.

I'm not 100% convinced by it all, no matter how fantastic Gladiator Duel may be. It is just Wii 2.0 (and I don't mean the naff "Motion Plus" rubbish) - it's properly designed and works really well. You'll still find yourself re-arranging the furniture though and after half an hour of swinging your arms about, you'll just feel tired and a little bit silly ;) It's not relaxing stuff - which is what I want from a game session.

Having said that, it's a great Saturday afternoon with the kids gaming session. It's interactive, energetic, competitive and fun. I don't think your little 'un is quite up to it yet ;)

So, up to you Pierre. It does work, it is fun, but it is just "more/better Wii".

I managed a couple of hours last night on DC Universe Online (Beta) It's good actually. It's a mix of Playstation Home, World of Warcraft and God of War (and I mean that in a good way).

It's still a little ragged, but for a MMORPG it's got something I think. While it's not something I'd invest in personally, it's pretty addictive. The flying mechanic works well (you choose your super powers) and it hangs together - just. As I say, it's still ragged and hopefully that'll be sorted for final release, but it's the loosest beta I've been involved in so far. Even Killzone 3 months ago felt like a "real game" ready for release. This doesn't yet - so wait for final reviews. If you like super heroes though and on-line role-playing games, it's got you covered 100% ;)

furie said:
"Motion Plus" rubbish

I got Wii motion plus for No More Heroes 2 and it doesn't even need it. :C

[quoteI managed a couple of hours last night on DC Universe Online (Beta) It's good actually. <snip> it's pretty addictive. [/quote]

QUIT NOW BEFORE YOU GET SUCKED INTO THE ABYSS AND HAVE THIS:

addict.png

That's a year worth of playing, for a free MMO.

Edit: picture was too big.