What's new

Thorpe Park | Derren Brown's Ghost Train | VR Attraction

Re: Thorpe Park construction?

Just thinking could it be a flat ride, Thorpe Park haven't had a proper flat ride since 2005 so it would be good to get a decent flat ride after 10 years. What would exactly fit there though?

I'm going to put my bet on a dark ride shooter for 2016, possible a Call of Duty themed one (wasn't that in the survey). Yes another IP one but it would work well with the audience and appeal to teens and also Dads too. It could work Toy Story Midway style with the screens. It could even tie in with Swarm, however I don't think there's any room on the island.

A dark ride in 2016 would be a good addition to Thorpe Park. I reckon we'll know a little more about this project by the end of the year.

May just be hearsay but I've heard big things about this possible development. Think of it as a pre-emptive strike against Paramount, an American quality dark ride!

If Thorpe get a dark ride over a cred I'll be fuming. Not even a world class dark ride can touch a mediocre cred.

If any Merlin park gets a dark ride it'll be Alton or Chessy, not Thorpe.

Jordan has a point. To build a spectacular interactive dark ride of any decent length, they would need a ride area of at least 600 square metres, plus a few extra hundred square metres for the facility. Whereas a coaster can fit in almost any space because it can go above and round (or even under) existing buildings, a dark ride can't.

I wouldn't completely rule out a dark ride though.

What's to say they're not thinking about one of those FAB Guardian of Wonder Mountain coaster/dark ride/shooter hybrids like at Canada's Wonderland? Now that would make my balls sweat.

Whatever it is - coaster or dark ride - they should attached it to an IP for maximum impact and a magical experience.

I wonder if anyone has noticed the clearing of trees next to the Studio 13 building.....

nadroJ said:
If any Merlin park gets a dark ride it'll be Alton or Chessy, not Thorpe.

What are you basing that on?

Ian said:
Whatever it is - coaster or dark ride - they should attached it to an IP for maximum impact and a magical experience.

The partnership with BBC could come in handy :wink:

Dr Who dark ride has been rumoured for years...

It'll be quite dull if Merlin don't think Thorpe can have a powerful non-IP brand after blaming Swarm for a bad year... Especially given how good Smiler as a brand was during all the build-up...

Of course, a dark ride in a small area is possible if it has an illusional effect of movement (like a simulator, or screens that create the effect of movement). It would have to be something quite dynamic.

Ian said:
Of course, a dark ride in a small area is possible if it has an illusional effect of movement (like a simulator, or screens that create the effect of movement). It would have to be something quite dynamic.

Well this is a decent size area.... ;)

BDyRWUs.png

That area is comfortably bigger than the X building and would house a large scale dark ride!

The area you've highlighted is the Nemesis Inferno shop, fast pass shop, the walkway that runs the across the back of the park and the carousel.

Get back on paint and highlight a new area because nothing's being built where you've suggested. Only a small portion (where the old safari used to sit) could possibly be used.

Darren B said:
The area you've highlighted is the Nemesis Inferno shop, fast pass shop, the walkway that runs the across the back of the park and the carousel.

Get back on paint and highlight a new area because nothing's being built where you've suggested. Only a small portion (where the old safari used to sit) could possibly be used.

I'm well aware what I highlighted, it was supposed to be a little further over as it was supposed to encompass the Studio 13 building. Also it's just in front of the road behind the park.

For the new development it is supposed to stretch from Studio 13 to Burger King including the Calypso BBQ, these will all be taken out for the show building.

Ready_23 said:
Darren B said:

I'm well aware what I highlighted, it was supposed to be a little further over as it was supposed to encompass the Studio 13 building. Also it's just in front of the road behind the park.

For the new development it is supposed to stretch from Studio 13 to Burger King including the Calypso BBQ, these will all be taken out for the show building.

This needs some Heinz...

Also, why would they create a dead end through having a L-shaped building across the major pathway between Inferno and Canada Creek?

Using the Fungle Safari site is the answer... Taking out a major eatery (unless Merlin have decided to go and make a massive indoor area to boot) isn't logical in the slightest, especially given that it's only 1 of 3 eateries at Thorpe that you can actually sit down at properly...

I dont know, I'm only relaying what I've heard. If you dont believe it then don't believe it. I got the same reaction in the Gringotts thread and look how that turned out.....

Also I wasn't inferring that the building was going to be a massive L shaped one just highlighting the area that I heard was going to be used, there could still be a path going between the two

This is the area they realistically have to play with;

FA2D40C7-E340-4FA5-8CE7-438A5294DA54_zps0ej8c9bg.jpg

And, you need to have evidence to back your claims. That is why Benin (Nemesis Inferno) has rightly challenged you. He's not disbelieving you, but you do need evidence.

I can appreciate that but I can't say what my evidence is due to where it has come from. It's a similar situation to the Harry Potter thread in that I can't name the source where I got it from (except this time I haven't seen the plans!)